Duration: 11 months (very likely will extend beyond)
Location: Franklin, TN
Technical position responsible for the development, design and maintenance of Geographic Information System (GIS) assets and other related functions.
- Develops, maintains and updates system facility records, maps, sketches and working designs in a GIS and/or Computer Aided Design (CAD) software.
- Updates existing maps and computerized drawings and databases to reflect additions, removals and other changes to land bases and company owned pipeline facilities.
- Prepares charts, graphs, drawings and other visual aids used in presentations.
- Maintains library of maps and related databases including computerized maps obtained from various sources.
- Update and maintain emergency key valve maps.
- May oversee daily project activities and delegates work assignments.
- Assists Engineers and Project Specialists in various projects as required.
- Assists with training and direction of other employees engaged in similar activities.
- Establishes, organizes and maintains detailed records and files using various computer programs.
- Requires Associate s degree in GIS, Computer Drafting or related field, and two years of experience in CAD/GIS, or equivalent.
- A certificate in GIS, Computer Drafting, or a related field and three years of experience in CAD/GIS is preferred.
- Requires the ability to communicate with internal and/or external customers in order to obtain and/or provide explanations and/or modifications on technical or complex concepts individuals with little or no background in the area under discussion.
- Requires the ability to perform algebraic, trigonometric and geometric operations and/or moderately complex statistical and/or accounting methods.
- Requires knowledge of various software applications including computer drafting in order to utilize advanced operations to create complex documents, reports, graphics, daily updates and maintenance of system facility maps and special mapping projects.
GIS Specialist from the Manager:
- Maintains and updates natural gas facility records within our GIS (GE Smallworld).
- Updates project tracking databases to reflect the posting status of asset additions, removals, and retirements
- Researches conflicts with existing facilities by utilizing historical records such as scanned work orders and legacy CAD maps to determine the appropriate action needed.
- Effectively communicates questions needing clarification to construction contractors and/or company operations employees.
- Ensures data integrity by utilizing system quality control tools and assists with peer reviews.
- Assists engineers and compliance in various projects as required.
4 of the 6 GIS specialists will be working as a group on a special project directed at populating attributes on legacy pipe. This is pipe that was brought into our system from CAD and is still missing information such as year installed, test pressures, project numbers, and so on. This group will be looking up the original construction orders in our document management system and updating our maps with the information found.
The remaining 2 GIS specialist will be helping out with the regular project mapping for recent construction jobs. They will work alongside our permanent staff, reviewing construct documents and mapping the facilities in our GIS. This is an effort to reduce a backlog of projects to be mapped and to keep up with the normal workload while the additional GIS projects are underway.
Phani Pinisetty | Latitude36 Inc | Technical Recruiter
Desk: 615.203.0257, Cell: 646.854.7602| Email: