The GIS Technician position involves data entry and maintenance of North Penn Water Authority’s (NPWA’s) Geographical Information System (GIS), as well as GIS hardware, software and database maintenance to ensure a high level of accuracy and functionality for system users.
Work is focused on data management in the GIS and end-user support. Will support and/or manage IT projects that are GIS related and may have broad organizational impacts.
This is responsible technical work in support of (NPWA’s) efforts in creating and maintaining a computerized mapping system of NPWA’s Water Assets, does related work as required.
Position reports to the IT Manager.
- Maintains Geographic Information System Functionality
Software – ESRI, etc.
Database – SQL
- Identifies and recommends areas where GIS can be utilized within NPWA.
- Provides GIS related support functions for organizational tasks and projects.
- Provides GIS training and mentoring for the employee base and/or others as required.
- Acquires and integrates outside data.
- Maintains GIS Contacts List
- Records complete documentation of system specifications and procedures, prepares and designs associated input-output forms, programming guides, user’s manuals, procedure’s manuals, and operation guides;
- Insures the long-term operation and reliability of geographic information system by verifying the proper functioning of all system features and capabilities in order to reveal and correct any deficiencies or malfunctions;
- Evaluates system instructions and procedures, recommends alternative solutions and/or improvements in geographic information processing methods, and redesign and modifies systems as required;
- Assists system users with procedures required for geographic information processing and the resolution of problems resulting from the processing of information;
- Provides direction, technical training, assistance and system support to all users of system capabilities
- Assists and supports the development of and adherence to required standards, controls, procedures and performance measures related to information systems;
- Updates GIS infrastructure database and performs digital data revisions and updates on GIS coverages, feature classes, and graphics/symbology utilizing ESRI ArcGIS.
- Manages internal and external data acquisition, exchanges, and purchases. Handles select GNSS/GIS related software licenses and equipment purchases.
- Assists IT Manager with planning, developing, coordinating all GIS related systems to create and maintain a comprehensive GIS database.
- Operates and maintains GPS locating systems and Trimble Locator and cross trains Distribution Staff as needed.
- Maintains a high level of proficiency in GIS software, professional practices, and techniques.
- Work under the direction of the IT Manager to provide various CMMS system support functions to include: End user support, internal process documentation, review internal work flows and provide the IT Manager system recommendations, and Q/A on end user input
- Work under the direction of the IT Manager to provide various internal ArcGIS Portal system support functions.
- Additional work related duties as required.
- B.S. Degree in G.I.S. or M.I.S. Or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of combined GIS job experience working with ESRI GIS software
- Experience in surveying, GPS, CAD applications and image processing a plus