The Global Network Engineer III, under the general direction of the Manager, will assist in the day-to-day tasks critical to the team's success. This individual is responsible for providing assistance and technical support for moderately complex network analysis and design activities. The Global Network Engineer III assists in the review/assessment of user needs and may conduct feasibility studies for projects and may assist in the evaluation and selection of equipment. This team member is responsible primarily for the assessment and optimization of Network and Communication platforms through review and assessment of customer needs. They are also responsible for developing requests for proposal, evaluating vendor products, and making recommendations on selection. This team member may function in a lead position providing guidance, direction and training to less experienced engineers. Timely completing company training, this individual will become thoroughly familiar with all compliance, regulatory and security requirements adhering to all corporate policies and standards. Additionally, the engineers will focus on sustainability and improvement of processes, along with task automation to improve process efficiency.
- Serve as Global Network Engineer III for the multi-disciplinary project teams they are a member of
- Evaluate, review and if appropriate, implement recommendations for improvements to existing network procedures and documentation for efficient and cost effective delivery of highly available network services.
- Provide third tier technical support to GM Financial and its other information technology teams to resolve network issues and to support the implementation of new network solutions.
- Follow established change procedures to implement network maintenance, upgrades, and changes.
- Author policy, procedure and standards documents based on industry best practices and personal research and experience.
- Lead development, testing, documentation, and QA functions to ensure that projects are securely delivered and fulfill expectations.
- Provide recommendations to management team to increase effectiveness of organization and technology solutions.
- Participate in company provided training and perform independent training as appropriate.
- Participate in an on-call support rotation for providing after-hours support.
- Resolve incident management tickets as they arise and ensure timely resolution
- Collaborates with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the artifacts as needed.
- Must have high attention to detail, be well organized and be a self-starter.
- Must be able to work with limited to moderate direct supervision.
- Uses a broad and deep understanding of technical concepts in multiple specialized fields to develop solutions to problems and critical design issues.
- Understands and promotes the GM Financial policy on Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) to ensure ongoing adherence to all relevant compliance regulations that may govern the GM Financial business and complete all regulatory knowledge training where applicable in a timely fashion.
Must have proven advanced level knowledge in at least two of the following area.
Major routing protocols EIGRP, OSFP, BGP. This includes advanced routing techniques such as Policy Based Routing and VRF.
Campus network switching design and configuration including FHRPs, VSS, vPC, VTP, Multicast, and Spanning Tree.
Network Traffic Engineering \ QOS.
Network Access Control using Cisco ISE, 802.1X, AAA, and ACS.
Cisco Wireless networks; WLC, Prime Infrastructure, and site surveys.
Datacenter Architecture; SDN/ACI, OTV, VXLAN, FabricPath, ASR, and UCS.
Advanced skill in architectural design, installation, maintenance of Cisco network infrastructure within an organization
Experience with current networking best practices in IT standards and principles.
Experience with packet capture, e.g., Wireshark, and log analysis products
Excellent technical documentation skills
- Commitment to keep up-to-date with IT trends and developments
- Knowledge and understanding of industry trends and new technologies and ability to apply this to day-to-day work activities.
Knowledge of enterprise platforms and operating systems as well as knowledge of key business functions and processes.
- Possess critical thinking and analytical skills with an ability to evaluate complex problems and issues quickly and accurately in order to recommend or take the most appropriate course of action.
- Ability to approach problems with an open mind and create new and innovative ideas and methods.
- Ability to think strategically, make collaborative decisions and perform risk analysis.
- Ability to balance priorities in order to meet multiple requirements and deadlines while ensuring priority objectives receive proper emphasis.
- Ability to accept change and adapt to organizational change and shifting priorities.
- Effective time management, prioritization, negotiation, and delegation skills.
- Ability to think and react positively and professionally when faced with obstacles.
- Ability to communicate concisely, appropriately, and intelligently; must foster open communication, speak with impact, listen to others, and write effectively.
- Willingness and ability to build on others ideas.
- Partner with customers to provide value and meet customer goals.
- Bachelor's degree, job related certifications or equivalent IT work experience required.
- Recommended 8 years in network engineering and design
- CCNP or equivalent knowledge and skill is required.
- Normal office environment; may be stressful at times. There may be a requirement to occasionally work a flexible schedule with the possibility of working long hours.
- This list is not exhaustive; you will be expected to carry out any other duties that are deemed reasonable in relation to your position.