The Global UNIX Systems Engineer III, under the general direction from the Manager, Global UNIX Systems Engineering, will assist in the day-to-day tasks critical to the team's success. This individual will be responsible for attending project meetings when necessary and assist in gathering and documenting infrastructure and security requirements. This individual will also become familiar with all compliance, regulatory and security requirements adhering to all corporate policies and standards. An energetic, solution minded personality with drive, attention to details and excellent communication skills will be needed for success in this position.
- Collaborates with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements and deliver the artifacts as needed.
- Must have high attention to detail, be well organized and be a self-starter.
- Must be able to work with limited to moderate direct supervision.
- Contributes to the development of RFPs/SOWs and participates in the vendor selection process.
- Uses a broad and deep understanding of technical concepts in multiple specialized fields to develop solutions to problems and critical design issues.
- Works independently
- Escalates complex or consequential issues to management.
- Identifies and directs changes through appropriate review and approval mechanisms.
- Understands and promotes the GM Financial policy on Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) to ensure ongoing adherence to all relevant compliance regulations that may govern the GM Financial business and complete all regulatory knowledge training where applicable in a timely fashion
- Responsible for the assessment and optimization of hardware utilization through review and assessment of user needs.
- Attend weekly management meetings.
- Direct selected products research and support other technology and evaluation projects; provide technical and operational support in all areas.
- Plan, prioritize, and provide vision on software changes and fixes.
- Identify and evaluate third party vendors, technology, or processes for integration with GM Financial's technology and equipment.
- Study and analyze the performance and capacities of the systems and peripheral equipment/systems and prepares plans for future expansion and upgrades.
- Serve as an escalation point for Level I-II Engineers and provide strong leadership, mentoring, and training in their area of expertise
- High Level System Administration: Hardware - Possess expert knowledge of server hardware
- Provides administration, support and design skills to highly complex technical infrastructures that require an increased level of security focus. These environments require advanced installation and configuration knowledge of various AIX and Linux
- Solution Building - Using good business acumen to communicate effectively with internal and external organizational units to gather requirements and transform functional and non-functional requirements into solution architectures and solution designs.
- Analyze, draft recommendations, and optimize existing systems
- Participate in an on-call support rotation for providing after-hours support.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Reports to Global Unix Systems Manager
Direct Reports: No
- Advanced knowledge of AIX v6 and v7 and HMC's
- Advanced knowledge of IBM Network Install Manager (NIM)
- Advanced knowledge of IBM Power server hardware
- Knowledge of Virtual I/O Server design and implementation
- Knowledge of clustering/high availability solutions (GPFS/PowerHA)
- Knowledge of Capacity Planning/Performance Tools (Galieo/Sysload)
- Knowledge of storage systems and storage area networks
- Advanced knowledge of server networking and firewalls
- Advanced knowledge of cross platform integration
- Advanced knowledge of UNIX shell scripting (bash/ksh/Perl)
- Knowledge of Identity Management Applications/Tools (CentrifyDC, etc)
- Advanced knowledge of RedHat Enterprise Linux v5, v6 and v7
- Advanced knowledge working within a VMware host/guest environment
- Advanced knowledge of RedHat Satellite
- Communication/Listening-communicating quickly, clearly, concisely, appropriately, and intelligently; foster open communication, speak with impact, listen to others, write effectively.
- Balancing Priorities-meeting multiple requirement and deadlines, while ensuring priority objectives get proper emphasis; strategic thinking, collaborative decision-making, risk analysis.
- Analysis-evaluating complex problems and issues, quickly, complete, and accurately to recommend or take the best course of action; critical thinking, diagnostic evaluation, uncover alternatives, involve affected parties.
- Teamwork/Cooperation/Dealing with Others-working well with others in teams and collaborative work situations; goal setting, verbal communication, written communication, handling conflict, I-Opt style emulation.
- Customer Service - recognizing internal and external customers and providing world-class service; set expectations, handle conflict, and follow through, verbal communication, written communication.
- Change/Adaptability-handling organizational change and shifting priorities; identify your role, view change as a way of life, clarify new practices and procedures, and take advantage of learning opportunities.
- Creative Ideas/Innovation/Problem-solving-maximizing your potential to solve problems and improve methods; approach problems with an open-mind, use existing information and resources, think positively when faced with obstacles, build on others ideas, think logically and intuitively.
- Time Management-using time most efficiently and effectively; prioritization, negotiation, delegation.
- Results Orientation - Align resources to accomplish key objectives; assigns clear accountability for important objectives.
- Managing Conflict - Negotiate adeptly with individuals and groups; effective at managing conflict and confrontations skillfully.
- A minimum of 7 years' experience in server support, configuration design and AIX and Linux administration
- Advanced level understanding of enterprise datacenter technologies including networking, security, NAS, Cloud Computing, and physical datacenter practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of industry trends and new technologies and ability to apply this to day-to-day work activities
- Knowledge of enterprise platforms and operating systems as well as knowledge of key business functions and processes
- Normal office environment; may be stressful at times. There may be a requirement to occasionally work a flexible schedule with the possibility of working long hours.
- This list is not exhaustive; you will be expected to carry out any other duties that are deemed reasonable in relation to your position.