HP033 Science Writer
I've got just the job for you. Our team environment encourages and empowers you to do your best work. Come share your knowledge with the world. Work side by side with top scientists.
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center nestled in the Maryland suburbs of Greenbelt is just 30 minutes from the heartbeat of America - Washington, D.C. Now you can have it all, the nightlife, museums, great food and theatre. Work in a place that pushes the envelope of science every day, yet spy a deer or a Canadian goose as you stroll the grounds of Goddard during lunch.
We are seeking a Science Writer to work with a team of scientists, educators, IT specialists, science writers, multimedia and web producers at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). The Science Writer will support media efforts and public outreach for NASA's cutting-edge research and missions in Space Science, and be responsible for writing to a broad range of audiences and on a variety of topics in Planetary Science, Astrophysics, Heliophysics, and Astrobiology.
- Write and edit web features, press releases, social media postings, and other outreach products for the Heliophysics Science Division (HSD) and the NASA Space Science Education Consortium (NSSEC)
- Subscribe to "New from NASA Goddard" emails from the Office of Communications, and check daily for press releases and featured stories that are pertinent to the HSD
- Gather information for the HSD website from emails and other Division communications
- Work closely with scientists and the Office of Communications to write, revise, and format image-rich content for NASA websites
- Create short, quick turn-around as well as larger, more in-depth writing products
- Coordinate visuals, as well as media and social media outreach around writing products
- Actively support social media outreach including creating story boards for various platforms (e.g. Facebook and Facebook Live, Twitter, Tumblr, Snapchat), and conduct outreach in advance and/or in real time during live events
- Track and support various robotic space missions in progress, gleaning stories about mission science discoveries and mission milestones
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications or Physical Sciences
- At least five years of work-related experience as a Science Writer with emphasis on Astronomy and Space science topics
- General familiarity with NASA and its scientific missions
- Experience writing and developing web and multi-media material.
- Working knowledge of conventions of journalism and media relations
- Familiarity with AP Style Guide
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residence is a must