Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a High Performance Computing (HPC) Developer to develop and support implementations of the MPI (Message Passing Interface) standard on some of the world's largest supercomputers. You will represent LLNL's interests in the MPI standardization process, work with vendors developing networking technologies, and support and work along-side scientific application code teams using MPI. This position is in the Livermore Computing Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Develop features in MPI implementations needed to scale and achieve high-performance on the world's largest supercomputers.
- Deploy and support MPI implementations on LLNL's HPC systems.
- Collaborate with application scientists to diagnose MPI bugs and create reproducers that can be shared with vendors.
- Assist with the tuning of applications for MPI and networking performance.
- Represent the organization's interests to the MPI standards committee, as well as work alongside other organizations on tasks and projects related to MPI and networking.
- Manage contracts with external collaborators who are providing software - development efforts.
- Test and verify software to increase robustness.
- Author complex user and developer documentation, as well as collaborate with researchers on technical reports, journal publications, and conference and internal presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.4 Level
- Direct technical tasks, research, and projects exploring networking and scalable communication.
- Codesign upcoming systems with vendors to achieve high networking performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of HPC networking and programming models such as MPI.
- Significant experience with medium to large-scale software projects, and experience with C/C++, and Linux.
- Experience working on large open source software projects and using software engineering principals.
- Significant experience with github, Atlassian, or similar open-source development tools.
- Ability to work independently and in teams to implement research concepts into production environments.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate with a multidisciplinary, multi-site team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver technical presentations.
In Addition at the SES.4 Level
- Expert level software development experience in compilers, linkers, HPC, parallel programming models (such as MPI and OpenMP) and working with low-level system architectures.
- Expert analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience with High-Performance Computing.
- Experience with MPI.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, wewill initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applyingcutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.