The information security engineer is a senior member of the information security team and works closely with the other members of the team to develop and implement a comprehensive information security program. This includes defining security policies, processes and standards. The security engineer works with the IT department to select and deploy technical controls to meet specific security requirements and defines processes and standards to ensure that security configurations are maintained.JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Definition of Controls
- Works with business units and with other risk functions to identify security requirements, using methods that may include risk and business impact assessments. Components of this activity include but are not limited to:
- Business system analysis.
- Communication, facilitation and consensus building.
- Assists in the coordination and completion of information security operations documentation.
- Works with information security leadership to develop strategies and plans to enforce security requirements and address identified risks.
- Reports to management concerning residual risk, vulnerabilities and other security exposures, including misuse of information assets and noncompliance.
- Plays an advisory role in application development or acquisition projects to assess security requirements and controls and to ensure that security controls are implemented as planned.
- Collaborates on critical IT projects to ensure that security issues are addressed throughout the project life cycle.
- Works with IT departments and members of the information security team to identify, select and implement technical controls.
- Develops security processes and procedures, and supports service-level agreements (SLAs) to ensure that security controls are managed and maintained.
- Advises security analysts on normal and exception-based processing of security authorization requests.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends information-security-related hardware and software, including developing business cases for security investments.
- Develops a common set of security tools. Defines operational parameters for their use, and conducts reviews of tool output.
- Performs control and vulnerability assessments to identify control weaknesses and assess the effectiveness of existing controls, and recommends remedial action.
- Defines testing criteria for systems and applications
- Is the primary individual responsible for the execution of risk assessment activities, analyzing the results of audits (performed by other groups) to produce recommendations of acceptable risk and risk mitigation strategies.
- Works with junior staff on deploying, tuning and running vulnerability-scanning and penetration-testing tools.
Defines security configuration and operations standards for security systems and applications, including policy assessment and compliance tools, network security appliances, and host-based security systems.
Develops and validates baseline security configurations for operating systems, applications, and networking and telecommunications equipment.Incident Detection and Response:
Provides second- and third-level support and analysis during and after a security incident.
Assists security administrators and IT staff in the resolution of reported security incidents.
Participates in security investigations and compliance reviews, as requested by internal or external auditors.
Acts as a liaison between incident response leads and subject matter experts.
Monitors daily or weekly reports and security logs for unusual events.Audit Support:
Information Security Architecture:
- Manages relationship with the audit group. Receives audit findings, and manages the collection of responses and remediation plans with owners.
- Works within the information security governance process to define control recommendations that are both efficient and effective.
- Provides oversight and management of audit finding remediation, including generating requirements for full remediation, providing feedback and suggestions on managerial responses to findings, and tracking progress and providing status and updates to the enterprise compliance team for reporting purposes.
- Supports e-discovery processes to include identification, collection, preservation and processing of relevant data.
- Maintains an awareness of existing and proposed security-standard-setting groups, state and federal legislation and regulations pertaining to information security. Identifies regulatory changes that will affect information security policy, standards and procedures, and recommends appropriate changes.
Assists in the development of security architecture and security policies, principles and standards.
Participates in the enterprise architecture (EA) community, and provides strategic guidance during the EA process.
Researches, evaluates, designs, tests, recommends and plans the implementation of new or updated information security technologies.
Researches and assesses new threats and security alerts, and recommends remedial actions.
Provides guidance for security activities in the system development life cycle (SDLC) and application development efforts. Participates in organizational projects, as required.JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Technical Competency
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of information risk concepts and principles, as a means of relating business needs to security controls.
- Knowledge of and experience in developing and documenting security architecture and plans, including strategic, tactical and project plans.
- Experience with common information security management frameworks, such as International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 2700x and the ITIL, COBIT and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) frameworks.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of project management, and experience with creating and managing project plans, including budgeting and resource allocation.
- In-depth knowledge of risk assessment methods and technologies.
- Proficiency in performing risk, business impact, control and vulnerability assessments.
- Strong understanding of business applications, including ERP and financial systems.
- Excellent technical knowledge of mainstream operating systems for example, Microsoft Windows and Oracle Solaris and a wide range of security technologies, such as network security appliances, identity and access management (IAM) systems, anti-malware solutions, automated policy compliance tools, and desktop security tools.
- Experience in developing, documenting and maintaining security policies, processes, procedures and standards.
- Knowledge of network infrastructure, including routers, switches, firewalls, and the associated network protocols and concepts.
- Audit, compliance or governance experience is preferred.
Strong analytical skills to analyze security requirements and relate them to appropriate security controls.
Ability to interact with Montefiore's personnel at all levels and across all business units and organizations, and to comprehend business imperatives.
Strong leadership abilities, with the capability to develop an information security team and guide team members and to work with only minimal supervision.EDUCATION:
Minimum of seven years' IT or network security experience.
Bachelor's degree in information systems or equivalent work experience.
Certification from ISC2, ISACA, SANS or equivalent.Department:
Montefiore Information Technology Bargaining Unit:
Non Union Campus:
YONKERS Employment Status:
Regular Full-Time Address:
6 Executive Plaza, YonkersShift:
Day Scheduled Hours:
8:30 AM-5 PM Req ID:
98645 Montefiore is an equal employment opportunity employer. Montefiore will recruit, hire, train, transfer, promote, layoff and discharge associates in all job classifications without regard to their race, color, religion, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, gender, actual or presumed disability, history of disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, pregnancy, military status, marital status, or partnership status, or any other characteristic protected by law.