Data analysts are experts with strong understanding of data structures and analysis. They are responsible for ensuring requirements around the accuracy, quality, completeness, and timeliness of data are captured and understood. They work hand in hand with Data Modelers, Data Developers, Data Stewards and Business SMEs to ensure the customer's data needs are accurately captured, understood and delivered. The Data Analyst III leads other data analysts on projects to ensure the development of a plan for and adequate completion of data analysis and design and ensure the quality of data specifications. In addition, the Data Analyst III reviews the work and ensures the quality of the team's deliverables. This role requires analytical skills related to Data Science or Actuarial.
* Directly interacts with more senior level internal and external stakeholders (i.e. Managers, Directors, etc.)
* Act as a subject matter expert in one or more designated data domains
* Play a lead role in Data Governance Domain Workgroups as domain SME
* Partners with BSG and business to define & document data related requirements, and settle deliverables and deadlines, utilizing negotiation and creativity independently
* Lead and provide direction to data analysts
* Translate highly complex concepts and conclusions in a clear and concise manner in ways that can be understood by a variety of audiences
* Lead and own the analysis of highly complex data sources, identifying trends and patterns in data and make recommendations based on analysis results
* Perform root cause analysis on complex data anomalies and working closely data stewards to define best practice
* Facilitate review sessions with management, business users and other team members
* Direct and review the work of other Data Analysts
* Coach and mentor junior analysts
* Provide estimates for work efforts on projects
* Oversees the creation of data assessments and project deliverables
* Development of best practices, guidelines and standards for Data Governance, Data Quality and Data Integration
The information above is intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed by each incumbent assigned to this position. This job description is not designed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of each incumbent.
* - Requires Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in a Quantitative Field (e.g. Actuarial, Analytics, Data Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Public Health, Data Science Information Systems, Statistics, etc.)
* - MS/MA preferred
* - 10+ Years of relevant work experience
* - 8+ Years in Data Analysis or data related roles
* - 6+ Years of Healthcare experience
Additional Licensing, Certifications, Registrations:
* Experience with Healthcare data formats such as X12, HL7, NCPDP, etc.
* Experience with Industry Data Models such as ADRM, IBM IIW/HPDM or Teradata Healthcare Data Model
* Experience with Metadata management processes and tools (Glossary, Lineage, Mapping, etc.)
* Knowledge of, and experience, with database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and views, specifically Teradata, Oracle, Greenplum, Vertica, etc.
* Knowledge of Big Data concepts and platforms such as Hadoop
* Knowledge of NoSQL data stores such as MongoDB, Neo4J, Cassandra, Redis, etc.
* Experience with Data Warehouse and Data Marts
Skills and Abilities:
* Excellent communication, interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills
* Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills with attention to detail
* Proficiency in MS Office (particularly Excel including formulas and calculations)
* Proficiency using Query Tools such as AQT, TOAD, etc.
* Extremely strong SQL skills are required
* Proficiency in analysis of very large data sets
* Require ability to make decisions regarding data quality problems and make recommendations for higher level audience
* Ability to combine data from multiple sources when needed for the analysis.
* Experience with Data Quality & Data Profiling metrics and tools
* Knowledge and experience with Data Governance processes, policies and standards
* Writing functional/mapping specifications for extracts and reports
* Familiarity with the use cases, business purposes and quality of the data
* Require the ability to lead multiple tasks
* Require excellent organizational and time management skills
* Demonstrates the ability to apply structure to a loosely defined problem
Strongly Desired Technical Skills:
* Informatica Data Analyst or other similar data analysis and profiling tools
* Informatica Data Explorer or other similar tools
* Master Data Management processes and platforms such as Initiate, Informatica MDM, IBM MDM, etc.
* Data Federation tools such as Teradata QueryGrid, Composite or Informatica DV
* Other DBMS platforms such as Sybase, SQL Server, MS Access
* Familiarity with reporting and analytics tools such as SAS, Tableau, Cognos, etc.
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability and any other protected class as required by federal, state or local law.
Job Level Individual Contributor
Expertise Information Technology
Job Type Full Time
Location Newark, NJ
Department: Information Technology