We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today! Job Summary
The Database Administrator will be analytical expert with strong physical data modeling, development, and SQL tuning skills in order to support business users in Farmers Insurance enterprise data environment. Essential Job Functions
• Provide technical database support to the business areas specifically in the database technology architecture and administration.
• Design large volume analytical database solutions that meet the functional and non-functional business requirements.
• Perform applications database administration functions including SQL tuning, database application design, physical data modeling, and developer support
• Work with development teams in database design process and make suggestions/recommendations based on data manipulation needs of the application
• Provide database support in all phases of SDLC
• Work with other people in the team to come up with solutions in line with group's standards
• Position requires 7X24 on call rotation schedule for various production support, database maintenance, housekeeping and installs
• Interface with Operations Database group, Systems Administrators and Capacity Planning groups as and when situation demands
• Ability to quickly diagnose the problem areas and come up with solutions and/or workarounds
• Evaluation and recommendation of software products in database management arena.
• Direct programmers and analysts to make changes to existing databases and database management systems.
• Direct data modelers in coding logical and physical database descriptions. Perform code reviews and suggest any changes to code and explain why proposed changes are needed.
• Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
• Review and approve database development and determine project scope and limitations.
• Approve, schedule, plan and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to enterprise data systems Physical Actions Physical Environment Education Requirements
- Four year degree or an equivalent combination of experience and relevant professional certifications.
• 5+ years of experience with Oracle 12c/11g(RAC, Dataguard, Golden Gate, Attunity), SQL Server 2014/2016, DB2 on LUW/zOS, Postgre.
• Should have strong time management skills with willingness and ability to handle multiple projects/initiatives at the same time
• Self-motivated with strong team and interpersonal skills
• 2 years of experience doing database upgrades using zero down time techniques. Knowledge of latest golden gate version and new features that have been recently introduced in it.
• 3 years of experience working with OEM 12c and OEM 13c to monitor databases across enterprise, setup new databases in OEM and setup alerts related to specific databases.
• 4 years of experience working with Database Engineered Systems such as Oracle Exadata, Exalytics and Data Appliance.
• 1 year of experience with cross platform migrations and data integration techniques, such as On premise to Cloud, Oracle to Oracle and Oracle to non-Oracle databases.
• 2 years of experience working with large data sets, data movement, partitioning, shell scripting, and PL/SQL development.
• 1 year of experience in BASH scripting (must have) and one of Perl/Python/PHP (nice to have) .
• Knowledge of different storage/disk systems used(ACFS, DBFS and NAS) when it comes to database/replication setup and the impact of each physical storage/file system on the database/replication build on top of this storage systems. Special Skill Requirement
• 3 years of experience on Oracle dataguard setup, troubleshooting and failover using OEM.
• Good understanding of different datatypes and character sets used in Oracle and knowledge of datatype and character set conversion.
• 1 year experience on working on Database Audit and security, Data encryption of static as well as inflight data using TDE encryption. Understanding of impact of encryption on Golden gate replication and associated troubleshooting.
• Ability to work with dedicated resource for a specific application/project or work with multiple application teams/partners based on the need of the hour. Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce. Schedule:
Full-time Job Posting: