The Office of Computing and Information Services (CIS) at the City University of New York (CUNY) support the IT and telecommunications needs of CUNY's 24 colleges. CIS supports enterprise IT and applications; develops new technologies that advance University's core mission; builds, upgrades and maintains the University's network; operates the University's Data Center and help desk; develops disaster recovery and business continuity plans; and leads the CUNYfirst Enterprise Resource Planning Project (ERP), which integrates 25 university systems, covering student administration, financial management, and human resources. Within CIS, the Systems, Storage, and Virtualization unit maintains and develops the service platforms for applications shared across the University.
Reporting to the Windows and Linux Systems Manager, the Senior Linux Systems Administrator will administer the Linux environment and deploy peripheral services in order to gain efficiency, maintain high availability servers, and reduce the need for physical hardware.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administers physical and virtual Red Hat Linux servers, including server deployment, kernel compilation, operating system patching, component installation and configuration, and updating packages.
- Manages servers in development, testing, and production environments, and web/application/database tiers while adhering to proper change management and security procedures.
- Manages the provisioning and deactivation of user accounts and authorizations.
- Oversees troubleshooting and quickly resolves performance issues such as resource contention, I/O bottlenecks, and network connectivity.
- Performs regular audits of system and application security, and implements corrective action as required.
- Represents the Systems group on selected CIS-wide committees and discussion groups pertaining to systems and applications.
- Architects and designs systems that fulfill business requirements of various departments.
- Identifies and remedies inefficiencies with systems and procedures.
- Delivers server tuning for application performance and capacity.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or higher.
- 5 years’ experience deploying and managing servers in a VMWare ESX virtual environment.
- Working knowledge with automation/management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, GitHub, and RedHat Satellite.
- Experience scripting with shell, Ruby, Python, PHP, Bash, or Perl.
- Working ability to secure a server using IPtables and SELinux.
- Experience designing and administering high available/loadbalanced systems.
- Working knowledge of DNS, SNMP, LDAP, SSH, and certificate management.
- Applied technical knowledge in troubleshooting, system integration, and migration of Linux and/or Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Proactive and detail-oriented with a high aptitude for solving complex problems and rendering sound resolutions.
- Ability to work productively as an individual contributor and collaboratively as a team member in a fastpaced, time-sensitive, customer-responsive, and team-oriented environment.
Level 1: $89,508
Level 2: $97,646
Level 3: $107,412
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and resume online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
New York, NY, 10017