The IT Solutions Engineer is responsible for supporting portfolio lifecycle activities for a wide array of CSBS systems to include shared infrastructure and application services. Works with product owners and internal staff to evaluate areas for improvement and make recommendations to achievement of targeted business outcomes. Is responsible for validating and implementing operational components of NMLS 2.0 modernization as well as working with CSBS IT leadership and vendors to validate proposed engineering designs.
The IT Solutions Engineer will be tasked to validate, maintain, and drive the detailed technical plan for achieving program delivery. The Solutions Engineer will work closely with CSBS Staff and vendors to solve technical issues and continuously improve system designs to better align to business objectives.
An effective IT Solutions Engineer will leverage IT solutions to enable CSBS’s desired future-state business capabilities and delivery targeted business outcomes. Must have the ability to distill high level architecture designs down to detailed technical drawings.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Prepare comprehensive documentation and ensure timely completion of work
- Design and build security solutions, frameworks, processes, and automation to secure infrastructure
- Work on AWS cloud engagement to build and deploy a highly secure and reliable AWS environment
- Provide expert support of full-lifecycle systems engineering
- Rapidly evaluate technical alternatives against defined requirements and deliver solution recommendations
- Identify and recommend design or configuration changes for a multi-account, multi-region, highly available and automated AWS infrastructure
- Monitor and evaluate the current-state IT systems portfolio to identify compliance issues, detect deficiencies, and make recommendations to improve the architecture and/or address misalignment with requirements
- Ensure infrastructure and system design meets FISMA Moderate standards and achieves Authorize to Operate (ATO)
- Directly assist Infrastructure and Application Development workstreams to evaluate and recommend tools and infrastructure that best fit requirements and achieve business outcomes
- Participate in technical discussions to aid system design, analysis, and troubleshooting
- Aid in reducing and resolving production incidents (e.g. Site Reliability Engineering).
- Develop and design elastic, resilient and self-healing Cloud native applications and workflows.
- Work with team members to create detailed designs and implement solutions.
- Look for opportunities to improve all operations processes.
- Evaluate, build and modify automation for deploying and operating production services.
- Create, assess, update and maintain documentation pertaining to Product Lines.
- Evaluate new technologies for innovation (Cloud, On-premises, Hybrid) and improvement of infrastructure (efficiency, cost effectiveness or adding capabilities)
- Develop and adhere to technical standards, specifications, and best practices
- Understand and contribute to the creation and maintenance of detailed EA technical documents as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed and meet the amount of education, training and/or work experience required.
Minimum of five years of professional experience in information systems at an engineering level. Experience should include the acquisition, implementation and management of IT infrastructure that supports mission critical, high availability systems with a national presence.
- Provide AWS cloud solutions to complex business problems for area(s) of responsibility where analysis of situations requires an in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives
- Strong Knowledge: BI and Analytics, Cloud Computing, Agile Methodologies
- A successful track record of providing state-of-the-practice end-user computing capabilities
- Ability to work in fast paced environment managing multiple projects driven by multiple deadlines
Education and Experience
- S. / B.A. degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Systems engineering certification strongly desired (e.g. INCOSE CSEP)
- Experience with Appian’s low-code platform desired, but not required
- Working knowledge and experience with project and portfolio management tools, preferably CA Clarity, Microsoft Project, and/or Jira
- Experience working as part of Agile development and working knowledge of SAFe methodologies.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels
- Knowledge of application development methodologies and infrastructure and network architecture
- Must be eligible to obtain or currently possess a U.S. Government clearance at the Public Trust Moderate (NACI) level or higher
- Must be a United States citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) with at least three (3) years consecutive residence in the United States as indicated on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (IS) LPR issued card
- Excellent communication and documentation skills, as well as ability to interact and communicate with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems quickly and skillfully.
- Strong logical and analytical thinker.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Can anticipate risks and mitigate in the moment.
- Comfortable under high-stress and exhibits poise and focus.
- Five or more years of experience with cloud-based services or technologies.
- Understanding of object-oriented software with languages like Java, C++, Python, Ruby or REACT.
- Understanding of API protocols such as REST and SOAP
- Understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP / IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, and distributed networks).
- Understanding of industry standards for designing and implementing IaaS / PaaS / SaaS in Cloud environments. (e.g. AWS well architected framework)
- Experience with modern container orchestration frameworks, such as Kubernetes, Docker Swarm and Apache Mesos.
- Certified AWS Solutions Architect or AWS DevOps Engineer
- Two or more years of demonstrated experience in Site Reliability Engineering functions.
- Experience with Linux / UNIX systems and the best practices for deploying applications to those stacks.
- Experience designing, implementing, and operating in a DevSecOps team structure
- Experience using APIs and RESTful services.
- Experience with infrastructure configuration and automations processes and tools such as Terraform, Puppet, Ansible and Chef.
- Experience with security in the cloud, such as Intrusion, penetration, and vulnerability scanning.
- Experience with monitoring solutions, such as ELK, Splunk, Zoho and AWS Cloud Watch.
- Experience with build automation and continuous integration / delivery ecosystem capabilities, such as Git, Gerrit, Maven / Gradle, Jenkins, Docker, Nexus.
Values Instilled Behaviors for Excellence
Member/ Customer Service
- Capability to build and value relationships
- Ability to prioritize work
- Advocate and advance member's goals
- Ability to give credit to others
- Have a “pitch in” attitude
- Learns from successes and setbacks
- Listens and learns from others
- Speaks the truth even when uncomfortable
- Ability to honor the expertise of others
- Recognizes the contributions of others
- Ability to consult and communication effectively
- Desires to make others successful
- Ability to preserve through adversity
- Willingness to experiment and take risks
- Plans ahead and is a forward-thinking individual
Achievement Oriented Thinking
- Is a solutions-oriented thinker
- Has good time management skills
- Manages expectations of what is achievable
- Asks questions and takes ownership for understanding why the change is happening and the risk of not changing actively
- Adopts the new habits, monitors own performance and checks self against the objectives and seeks help when they don’t match
- Identifies and mitigates obstacles
- Asks for and openly accepts feedback
- Recognizes and understands one’s moods, emotions and drives, as well as their effect on others
- Leaves room for doubt – realizes there is always room to grow
- Office work environment.
- Occasional off-hours maintenance work.