Job Purpose: Lead a small to mid-level team of IT professionals in support of a unit's IT systems, technology and requirements. Ensures that unit's IT needs are effectively defined and resources are provided and maintained to meet those needs. Responsible for setting employee goals, assessing performance, providing feedback, and making pay recommendations.
- Collaborates with unit management to gain understanding of functions administered; define type and extent of IT services required to support those functions. Keeps unit management informed regarding status and viability of unit systems.
- Defines and establishes priorities for hardware and software support, maintenance, upgrades and replacements based on unit needs. Manages the integration and operation of networking, AV, security, disaster planning/recovery, email, and other internal IT business systems/programs in conjunction with OIT and campus systems.
- Establishes IT related objectives and work plans; defines and delegates assignments to unit IT staff.
- Monitors IT staff efforts in the installation and maintenance of unit IT hardware and software; evaluate staff performance and provide feedback.
- Review and approve recommendations for additional programs and upgrades of existing programs.
- Develop and maintain unit IT policies and procedures consistent with Institute policy. Develops SOPs and technical documentation.
- Performs research and analysis and investigates possible IT solutions to unit functional issues. Provides consultation for highly complex IS/IT problems.
- Responsible for project leadership and implementation.
- Responsible for unit administration and assigned budgets.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Six to eight years related job experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires advanced knowledge of and skills in the development, installation and maintenance of IT hardware and software applicable to assigned unit. Additionally, skills in project management, organization, communications and customer service are required.
- Preferred Education: Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- Preferred Work Experience: Eight or more years of job-related experience; Working in higher education preferred
- Preferred Certifications: ITIL, ServiceNow, HDI, Microsoft
- Preferred Skills: Knowledge and skill preferred in the installation and maintenance of information technology hardware and software, with a clear understanding of industry practices, campus policies and procedures. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional skills in problem solving, decision making, customer service, system documentation, and communications. Also beneficial would be familiarity with enterprise systems, networking, security, virtualization, and overall IT architecture. Network and host-based firewall experience is a plus. Knowledge of ITIL principles, service and knowledge management, specifically experience with ServiceNow, will also help to ensure success in this position. A background including supervising, managing, and collaborating effectively with teams is expected. It will also be important to possess experience with endpoint device procurement, managing vendor relationships, seeking funding from financial approvers, and collaborating with a variety of business units to understand and address their technology and support needs. Experienced supporting Microsoft Windows 10, and Microsoft Office 365 applications; Experienced working with endpoint management and protection technologies, such as SCCM, Jamf, BeyondTrust, Active Directory and GPO’s.
This position will manage, and serve as a member of, the Departmental Computing Support team that responds to the endpoint technology needs of Georgia Tech’s Campus Services, Business Services, and HR departments in a large number of campus locations. This team itself is housed within the Coda building at Tech Square. The team provides hands-on and remote desktop support, generally Tier 2, for assigned departments. Workdays are Monday to Friday; with overall team operating hours of 7AM to 6PM. Brief periods of after-hours support or customer response may occasionally be required. The ability to lift and carry computer hardware weighing up to 25 pounds is required, as are sitting for extended periods of time, dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard, mouse, and other computer components. Must be fluent in the English language.
The ideal candidate will also be:
Highly self-motivated and directed;
Analytical, with excellent problem-solving abilities;
Able to demonstrate a strong customer service orientation, with experience leading customer service teams;
Endowed with excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentational skills;
Able to effectively prioritize, execute tasks, and manage others in a high-pressure environment; Able to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language; Experienced working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment; A licensed driver, with the ability to operate a motor vehicle or electric cart and a willingness to travel across campus to resolve field requests, as required.
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: unit and OIT management and staff, vendors. This position typically will advise and counsel: unit management and staff. This position will supervise: unit IT staff.
Department Description The Office of Information Technology provides information technology leadership and support to the Georgia Institute of Technology, working in partnership with academic and business units to meet the unique needs of a leading research university. We serve as the primary source of enterprise-wide information technology and telecommunications services in support of students, faculty, staff, and researchers.