JUNIOR LINUX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) provides enterprise class services to the staff, faculty, and students of UC Irvine. The Enterprise Unix Services (EUS) team within OIT supports critical campus services that use the Linux operating system and associated open source and custom-built applications.
Under the direction of the Enterprise Unix Services (EUS) Manager in the Office of Information Technology department, this seasoned Linux system administrator is responsible for applying professional concepts and industry best practices to resolve issues that are moderately complex in scope, providing daily operational management of on-premises and cloud Linux server instances, maintaining thorough documentation of procedures and system configurations, selecting methods and techniques to obtain solutions, evaluating technologies, performing moderate cost / benefit analysis, and completing additional work assigned by the EUS manager. The position requires system administration experience along with the skill to administer various distributions and open-source applications of the Linux operating system. Candidates must have proficient time management skills to work in a dynamic operations environment with varying priorities and schedule demands. Excellent communications skills are required for collaboration with technical and non-technical individuals of the university.
Department Website: https://www.oit.uci.edu/
- One (1) to two (2) years of experience administering Linux systems.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Basic knowledge of how to apply technologies and systems to meet business needs.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Understanding of system performance monitoring and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
- Demonstrated understanding of how system management actions affect users and dependent/related functions.
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing scripts of moderate complexity used to perform system maintenance and administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer security best practices and policies.
- Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- General knowledge of other areas of IT.
- Experience with network technologies, especially DNS, VLANs, firewalls, and load balancers.
- Experience installing, configuring, optimizing, and maintaining Linux based web server applications like Apache Web Server and Nginx.
- Experience programming administration tasks using shell scripts and languages like Python.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools like Terraform, configuration management tools like Ansible, and code revision tools like Git.
- Experience with ITIL or similar IT best practices frameworks
To review the complete posting and apply, please use this link: