We are looking for a senior tech-lead level Java developer to work in our development team that builds and supports consumer payment origination and processing (for example, external ACH transfers). The application is highly available and handles high volume payment origination, processing, and settlement capabilities for customer and colleague facing applications. Responsibilities include:
- Ensure that assigned deliverables are planned and completed. For example, planning/scope estimates, detailed design, development, unit testing, defect fixes, implementation planning/execution, change controls, and production support/incident resolution.
- Track and report on the development progress completing deliverables (code, documentation, estimates, etc) using systems like TFS, Azure DevOps, ServiceNow, and IBM case management.
- Contribute to design reviews, code reviews, and unit testing strategy.
- Provide partnership and guidance to testers, analysts, and stakeholders.
- Diagnose root causes to complex technical problems like performance, availability, internal and external application integrations, database, middleware (webserver, application server, WebSphere, MQ, IIB), network, etc.
- Provide L3 production support 24/7/365 spread across the team.
- Research and facilitate the monitoring, high availability and support methodology for our production environment.
- Maintain evergreen system documentation containing design content, developer guidelines, onboarding procedures, and troubleshooting guides.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring of other developers and testers on the team.
- Carry overall technical implementation responsibilities for a project that makes significant changes to or builds new modules of the application and requires months of development.
- Produce technical detail level designs that aligns with the overall architectural roadmap for the application platform.
- Carry out division of major functionality into smaller technical deliverables that provide value and are testable.
- 7 years of hands on development using Java EE technologies that provide web services, and incoming/outgoing file processing. Spring Boot and Java version 8+ required.
- Excellent communication, design, documentation, analytical, and SDLC skills.
- Experience working with Docker, Kubernetes or other container orchestration technology.
- 3 years delivering software using agile methodologies.
- Work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Hands-on experience with GIT, Maven, Jenkins, JSON & SOAP xml.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Excellent technical leadership skills and ability to mentor other developers, testers and analysts.
- Ability to see the larger picture for a project's technical delivery and the perseverance needed to carry out decomposition of that overall technical work and see it through completion.
- Excellent teamwork and ability to influence colleagues in other technical teams including but not limited to infrastructure, databases, networking.
- 3 years of cloud-native development using one or more of cloud offerings.
- Hands-on experience with delivery of significant application changes into production for business-critical high-volume application.
- Solid understanding of Design Patterns and related terminology.
- 5+ years using Spring Boot, IBM WebSphere/MQ/DB2/SQL Server (or other relational database)/FTM and Unix/Linux commands.
- Payments/payment processing background in 1 or more of the following: Wires, ACH, Zelle, TCH RTP or Bill Payments.
- Experience using monitoring tools like Dynatrace, Zenoss, Splunk, and log files to evaluate the health of mission critical production applications and to identify root causes for performance and functional issues.
- Experience with Payment Engines, Payment Hubs, or IBM FTM (Financial Transaction Manager) is a definite plus.
- Hands-on experience with test driven development (TDD or TFD) and other modern software development best practices.
Provides technical and consultative support on the most complex technical matters. Analyzes, designs, and develops systems based upon user specifications. Provides technical assistance in solving hardware or software problems. Possesses an in-depth knowledge of and works with the technical tools available for systems development and support. Maintains and demonstrates knowledge of technical industry trends, particularly as they apply. May assist with identifying training needs or with training of less experienced staff. May serve as project leader for specific projects.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at