The Operation Engineer (OE) is responsible for the lifecycle management of software components used for Data Processing within the Deep Space Network (DSN). Data Processing subsystem components are part of larger DSN system elements: Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C), Service Management (SMS), and Observational Data (OBD).
Data Processing subsystems cover a range of disciplines and theories, including: signal processing (open and closed-loop receivers and telemetry processors), radiometric predict generation, database management, information technology security and service quality assessment.
The OE may be assigned to multiple assemblies, and must know the capabilities, performance standards and limits for each. The OE will also use pre-defined processes to transfer new capabilities to the DSN.
In addition to knowledge and expertise in specific technical areas, the OE must be competent in test theory, test methodologies, software safety, and the fundamentals of computer science and software design.
The candidate must possess strong organizational and communication skills and be able to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities to meet deadlines on projects.
Be prompt and responsive to customer request, and produce quality results in a timely manner.
Demonstrated ability to resolve issues in an efficient, clear, and concise manner. Interface effectively with internal and external customers. Work as part of a team and also independently supporting the Engineering organization.
Normal workdays are Monday Friday from 0730 1630 local. The OE must be willing to work off-shift hours that may include nights, weekends and holidays as required to support critical activities.
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
Service Capability Development (SCD Process)
• Conduct Acceptance Testing and generate effective test reports
• Support Project Interface Testing and Demonstrations
• Participate in DSN design and readiness Reviews
• Review and critique technical procedures for the installation, test and operation of subsystem
• Determine test resource requirements and schedule tests
• Identify and categorize software anomalies
Service Execution (SVE Process)
• Provide real-time technical support for critical and high-profile DSN activities and events
• Analyze discrepancy reports (DRs)
• Coordinate with Deep Space Communications Complex (DSCC) personnel and JPL Design
Engineering to investigate failures and resolve operational problems.
• Maintain technical cognizance of subsystem capabilities, configurations and performance
• Support Senior Engineer with System Performance Analysis Reporting
• Document Anomaly Reports (ARs) for problems identified in Operations
• Develop operational processes to prevent, avoid, or work around anomalies that could affect
the quantity or quality of data services
• Provide technical guidance to DSCCs in the form of system-dependent Cognizant OE
In addition to the above activities, candidates will be expected to:
• Plan Acceptance Test campaigns
• Prepare and deliver presentation material for DSN Reviews
• Develop performance analysis tools, conduct System Performance Analysis, and report
to DSN Management
• Analyze discrepancy reports (DRs), establish DR Quality Criteria, and perform DR Quality
• Develop System Performance Tests (SPTs)
• Review and develop elements of DSN operation test plans (OTPs)
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Advanced Windows-based PC, and Microsoft office product.
Knowledge of UNIX-based operating systems (Solaris, Linux) is required.
Knowledge of Oracle Virtual Machine/server, NetApp hardware, Remote Desktop Technology.
Knowledge of PHP, Python and Shell Scripting.
Knowledge of MySQL and PostgreSQL Database Admin.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
The position may require travel to vendor sites or complexes for implementation, training and test support.
Must be able to lift/push/pull 20 lbs.
BA/BS degree in a technical or engineering field with 2 years of experience or AS degree in engineering technology with at least 6 years of related experience, or comprehensive military training or completion of a civilian technical school program with at least 10 years related experience.
Integration and testing perspective with the ability to define and test for requirements validation required
Experience with Subsystem Interface specifications, and DSN Processes for Transfer and Testing are desired.
Fundamental knowledge of statistical principals for performance analysis and reporting.
Knowledge of Linux RH and Ubuntu System Administrator.
Basic understanding of PHP, Python and Shell scripting.
Familiarity with MySQL Database Administrator.
Familiarity with Remote desktop technology, Dell servers and storage.