The client seeks a Network Engineer responsible for protecting the client's global assets and interests which include systems, software, networks, computational elements and data through deep knowledge of network and communication channels. Responsible to bring industry best methods and practices concerning perimeter defenses around organizational assets and to also bring knowledge of perimeter security around extracting unauthorized withdrawals of corporate information or data. Strong network engineering skills and an understanding of the protocols throughout the OSI seven layer stack are required of this position.
* Clearance: Active DHS EOD desired, ability to attain is required.
* Location: Washington, DC (Northwest)
* Available ASAP
* Salary: Dependent upon experience
* Evaluates, documents, triages, tests, and performs event isolation and resolution.
* Monitors and troubleshoots and maintains a range of computer network components and systems (e.g., routers, firewalls, and proxy servers).
* Performs these functions across some, but not all, physical media, protocol stacks, hubs, routers, bridges, gateways, and network management components.
* Uses monitoring, performance analysis, network management, and software and hardware equipment to troubleshoot and isolate problems; gages network performance; and traces data and protocol activity.
* Provides front-line technical support for issues received from phone calls, emails, and automated tickets from monitoring tool.
* Tracks reported issues through to resolution.
* Accurately and quickly triages and escalates incidents to the appropriate group (e.g., Service providers (AT&T/Verizon), Tier 2, and Tier 3).
* Proven ability to analyze and review network communications within the operating environment to ensure proper protocol and port management, access and use.
* Proven ability to open/close protocols and ports based on the desired security and operating practices of the client.
* Experience providing an assessment of network monitoring tools and practices to be used for understanding the normal behavior of a networked device.
* Proven ability to produce network topology diagrams and network connected device diagrams, showing the in and out flow of data among devices.
* Proven ability to document and develop technical procedures for the maintenance, operation and sustainment of the operating environment.
* 3+ years' experience in analyzing security logs generated by Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems (IDS/IPS), firewalls, network flow systems, Anti-Virus, and/or other security products
* Experience performing security analysis.
* Experience monitoring daily security reports and develops new reports as needed by security, management, and auditors.
* Excellent troubleshooting skills, self-motivated, results-driven and well organized.
* Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to communicate with all levels of staff and management.
* Certified in one of the following:
* CISCO Network Engineer
* Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
* Certified Authorization Professional (CAP)
* Certified Security Analyst (CSA)
* Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
BS degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Software Systems, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a similar technical discipline
VariQ is an equal opportunity employer.
Category: Information Technology