Sets direction for systems, networks, user services and vendor development efforts. Defines the direction for the organization, standards, and tests systems and hardware to ensure interoperability and validates features and functions. Analyzes complex local and wide area network systems and/or customer network environment, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges and other devices. Resolves difficult interoperability problems to obtain operation across all platforms. Configures systems to user environments. Supports acquisition and implementation of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services. Regarded as a subject matter expert and may act as a technical project leader or provide work leadership for lower level employees. Excludes those with full supervisory responsibilities.
Provide primary engineering design and configuration for voice and data systems in line with CUSTOMERS' goals and requirements
- Lead voice communications projects
- Evaluate new technical requirements for compatibility with deployed system design
- Evaluate new products for compatibility and applicability to the CUSTOMERS' network.
- Maintain current knowledge base regarding complex routing, switching, and voice design and configuration for Cisco Call Managers, Avaya and Hosted Unified Communications (HUCS)
- Provide high-level technical & engineering support for voice configurations, troubleshooting, and service restoration along with an understanding of switching, routing as it would affect voice trouble
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex issues
- Provide high-level off-hours support on a rotating basis with other on-site engineers
- Develop and oversee subordinate level technical methods, procedures, and assist with complex technical solution designs. Develop & document process flows.
- Monitor and analyze performance across the organization's Voice Network and underlying LANs, WANs, IPT, and wireless deployments.
- Identify capacity and performance issues for communications traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of communications systems.
- Conduct testing of disaster recovery plans as it pertains to communication equipment to detect faults, and minimize malfunctions.
- Maintain network monitoring applications, equipment and utilities as needed.
- Create and maintain network documentation and reports as required
- Act as liaison between CUSTOMERS' and other network vendors (e.g. Cisco, Juniper & Avaya) on high-level support issues.
- Provide direct interface with other CenturyLink departments in support of the CUSTOMERS' network
- Avaya Voice / VOIP / 911 Subject Matter Expert
- Minimum 8 years experience in related Voice work
8-12 years current hands on experience with the following:
- Cisco, Juniper, Adtran Layer 2 & 3 switch, router, firewalls, LWAPs configuration and management
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager CUCM
- System configuration and management, including CallManager, Unity, and ERL Avaya switch configuration, operation, and management PCC or other call center configuration, programming, and management Isolation of network outage causes and service restorations including understanding fiber optic characteristics
- Isolation of telecom outage causes and service restorations including understanding Avaya and or Cisco characteristics
- Direct customer interaction communication skills
- Proficient PC skills in office applications and network connectivity configuration
- Proficient presentation skills for presentations to technical and non-technical audiences; must be able to translate technical terms and concepts to non-technical entities.
- MS, B.S. or equivalent experience in technology or business related field
- Valid Driver's License
- Must be available 24/7 for network outages and maintenance window work.
- Strong communication (oral and written), customer service, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Experience with project management.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Masters or Equivalent
Bachelors or Equivalent
Alternate Location: US-North Carolina-Wake Forest; US-Tennessee-Bristol
Requisition # : 206857
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/ -
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses").- We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.- Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Category: Telecom, Telecommunications, Engineering Manager, Engineer, Consulting, Technology, Engineering