Please note that this is a 1 year contract position.
As an Embedded IT Resource, this individual will, at a minimum, be working with staff from the Health and Human Services Information Technology Services (ITS) division, the Information Technology Outsourcer (ITO) - Client, and third-party vendors to assist PHL with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and other IT related projects.
The EITR will be responsible for the support, validation and troubleshooting of the LIMS as well as implementation, administration, training, support, and overall mentoring of the lab staff. The primary responsibilities of this position are to administer the technical aspects of the LIMS to ensure that the system is accurately and efficiently capturing and reporting critical and environmental laboratory data. The EITR will also work with laboratory and other entities to create reports and update workflows. In addition, they will be responsible for the successful implementation of the new enhancement features requested by the PHL. The Embedded IT Resource will work closely with each of the laboratory sections to ensure that all LIMS processes meet the regulatory requirements of their respective agencies (e.g. Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (ELAP) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC)) including strict change control and validation protocols.
The Embedded IT Resource will perform a variety of technical support duties pertaining to computer systems, printers, scanners and related equipment and serve as a first responder for computer, network and hardware/software issues, and communicating with the client help desk, opening up issue tickets as needed. Will also serve as the technical representative and liaison between departments and the IT Outsourcer to provide effective technical support for network services and information technology business processes. The Embedded IT Resource will act as liaison with client which will troubleshoot, analyze and resolve system/application related support requests, diagnose computer problems, monitor computer processing systems, and install software and perform tests on computer equipment and programs. The EITR may also coordinate with client when they are setting up VLAN for instruments, computer/audio video equipment, scheduled maintenance, as well as training clients in use of programs. Other job duties may include scheduling minor repairs and ordering catalog items.
The Embedded IT Resource needs a strong knowledge of computers and operation, including an understanding of hardware and software, operating systems, and basic computer programming. Familiarity with electronic equipment, cellular phones, internet applications and security is required. The Embedded IT Resource will need good communication skills as this position requires frequent interaction with managers, executives, clients, vendors and other County departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Act as a liaison between PHL, client, LIMS vendor, LIMSs users and ITS to provide end-user support on LIMS application.
2. Work closely with laboratory personnel, vendors and other IT professionals to understand the needs of the laboratory staff and clients, configure and maintain LIMS in a manner that addresses those needs and maximizes the system's potential.
3. Analyze PHL requirements to translate needs into technical requirements.
4. Support client in maintenance , troubleshooting and supporting existing LIMS system (STARLIMS) and interfaces.
5. Prepare Statement of Work and assist with conducting business and functional requirements analysis for system enhancement or replacement.
6. Formulate and define the scope of work for major upgrades to LIMS through research and fact finding combined with an understanding of applicable systems and laboratory requirements.
7. Develop, modify and maintain forms/interfaces for data entry into LIMS. Create specific Crystal reports, develop or enhance workflows, create new tests, triggers, write and run queries to extract data including writing SQL scripts in Starlims.
8. Support client in maintenance of existing instrument interface and working with vendor to develop new instrument interface.
9. Work with internal and external clients, ensuring they have access to Starlims and can see results.
10. Analyze data trending generated by LIMS for process improvement, general quality control and quality improvement processes.
11. Identify, implement, and document appropriate solutions for problems and issues with the LIMS during daily operations that can improve the laboratory information management process.
12. Train others as appropriate on specific areas of LIMS expertise including employees and external system users. Assist in the development of systems documentation, training materials, and training processes.
13. Identify, evaluate, develop, and redesigns laboratory information system processes and procedures to meet user requirements. Create detailed written requirements.
14. Consult with and advise laboratory management and decision makers to identify, recommend, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions including system customization as needed.
15. Working with client provide variety of technical support duties pertaining to computer systems, printers, scanners and related equipment.
16. Assist in design, implementation of new LIMS system or version upgrade.
17. Assist with project estimation, planning and tracking of development and implementation tasks. Anticipate dependencies and delays and bring them to the management s attention.
18. Provide recommendations for the most efficient and cost-effective solutions.
19. Evaluate the existing information processing systems or manual workflows to determine effectiveness and recommend changes to improve production or workflows as required.
20. Assist with UAT during implementation of software application systems.
21. Work closely with management to prioritize business goals and information needs.
22. Prepare user documentation for program specific systems.
23. Work closely with PHL staff, developers, testers and a variety of end users to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction.
Desired Professional Skills and Experience
Experience in LIMS application management, LIMS implementation experience and laboratory testing experience preferred
Experience with CLIA, ELAP, FDA, or CDC preferred
Preferred languages: SQL, Jscript, .NET, VBScript, SSL, HL7, XML, Python
RDBMS: SQL Server, Oracle
Strong knowledge of Crystal Reports
Proven knowledge in system testing, validation, problem resolution, and training
Background in laboratory computing environment including instrument and system interfaces and familiarity with laboratory procedures
Working knowledge of the regulatory environment
Strong written and verbal communication skills across different and diverse groups or individuals
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the workday
Ability to work under pressure and troubleshoot problems
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools
Strong experience in application testing
Ability to explain technical details to non-technical staff
Solid understanding of business practices with fundamental understanding of project management methodology
Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field plus two years of work experience in an IT Support Analyst position OR any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the required knowledge, skills and abilities
Background check and pre-employment drug screen required
Must have a satisfactory driving record and valid California State Driver s License
Applicants must provide their phone number. Reference job number A31.
San Francisco, CA, 94159Contact