Perform research, development and testing of optical systems, lasers, and laser systems for surgical applications. Provide knowledge of optics and lasers, particularly beam delivery and optical fiber coupling, high-energy pulsed lasers, MOPAs, and diode-pumped fiber optic lasers. Build bench-level prototypes and conduct experiments to lead understanding of system and single-use device design requirements. Work closely with other members of our interdisciplinary team developing innovative laser systems and related technologies in a focused, fast-paced and fun environment. This position will require you to translate raw ideas into high-level design concepts and prototypes.
- Assemble, align, test, and troubleshoot lasers, laser delivery systems, and related optics and photonics.
- Build and align optical and laser system prototypes, taking them from bench-level to functional designs.
- Couple high-energy, free space lasers to photonic components and fiber optic devices.
- Conduct lab experiments, collect and analyze resulting data, document, and present results.
- Develop front end optics and optoelectronics for coupling, interface, monitoring, and control of surgical laser systems.
- Work with manufacturers to define requirements for optical components and subsystems and realize prototypes.
- Optical component characterization and damage threshold testing.
- Optical system specification, alignment budget, tolerance analysis, and design for manufacturability
- Derive product design requirements based on top-level requirements and user needs input.
- Medical device development activities such as prototyping and testing, pilot builds, V&V, risk assessment, and validation of ramp-up to production.
Contribute to patent portfolio and strategy development.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Optical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or similar disciplines with five or more years of relevant experience.
- Five or more years of relevant experience working with pulsed high-energy, Q-switched, diode-pumped fiber optic, or other solid-state lasers and related optical, electronic, and optoelectronic equipment.
- Area expertise in Optical Design, Photonics, Fiber Optics, Lasers, and Optomechanics.
- Development of laser systems, fiber optic energy delivery devices, fiber optic probes.
- Proficiency with industry standard tools and methods for optical design, photonic, and electro-optical systems engineering such as ZEMAX, CODE V or FRED.
- Broad knowledge of assembly, alignment, and test methodologies and related equipment.
- Vendor and supplier management for optical components, complex sub-systems, or OEM.
- Hands-on experience in laboratory technical work, preferably in lasers, photonics, and optics.
- Experience in documenting technical work and results, writing lab reports, analysis and presentation of data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Biomedical product or medical device development experience.
- Experience with Class 3B & Class 4 lasers and related optics for delivery and single-use devices.
- Understanding of Design Controls according to 21 CFR 820 or ISO 13485.
Proficient in Risk Management according to ISO 14971.