Description Job Description:
Leidos is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join a highly successful team in researching and developing Connected and Automated Vehicle (CAV) and Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) technologies to shape the future of transportation. The Saxton Transportation and Operations Laboratory (STOL) in McLean VA, is the USDOT's premiere research and development laboratory for Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technology. Our team of over 40 engineers and scientists advance CAV technology for the USDOT by developing, testing, and supporting the adoption of technologies associated with Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2X) communications as well as Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA). We're researching how self-driving cars can work together with the infrastructure and other road-users to make transportation safer and better.
This is an opportunity for a leader who is motivated by variety, thrives in a challenging environment, seeks professional growth, and wants to be a key part of a team developing and extending technology that supports a variety of transportation research. The successful candidate will perform a variety of duties surrounding V2X technology as well as quickly adapt to research and development (R&D) needs. The role will be a leader in software development as part of a larger research team developing new connected and automated technologies for FHWA. This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. The successful candidate will mentor junior staff and manage small to large projects as the organization and contractual situation evolves.
Location: McLean, VA
The Lead Software Engineer will have the skill sets to do full life cycle development on a complex system of systems, primarily using C++ on Linux. However, responsibilities will primarily involve:
Required Education & Experience:
- Experience leading technical development team.
- Defining system architecture and high-level designs
- Performing software engineering activities such as, coding, testing, reviews and documentation.
- Identify and offer solutions to gaps in capabilities using latest technologies
- Helping to define the team's strategic directions
- Managing staff assignments to ensure high quality work in support of that strategy and for planning
- Communicating with upper management and customer staff
- Supervising direct reports, which includes recruiting, coaching, managing their training, performance, rewards, discipline, career growth, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or a science discipline with 10+ years full-time professional experience on software development teams
- Proven experience leading a team of software engineers for at least 3 years
- Experience as a hands-on software developer so that you have a first-hand appreciation of the needs and thought patterns of the team
- Experience developing software in C++ and Linux environments.
- Experience with Jira, Confluence and Agile software development
- Experience with Git, Docker and continuous integration
- Ability to think and communicate abstractly
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Must have valid driver's license and ability to pass DMV background check
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance.
- Experience in government contracting environment, including proposal writing preferred
- Experience leading an agile development team preferred
- Experience developing software in Java, Python
- Knowledge of Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience developing real-time, embedded software
- Understanding of physics, especially dynamics and kinematics
Please see our other openings here: http://careers.leidos.com/stolExternal Referral Bonus:
EligibleExternal Referral Bonus $:
$2000Potential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:
Software EngineeringPay Range: