Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings
1Job Description Summary
Travelers Data Engineering team constructs pipelines that contextualize and provide easy access to data by the entire enterprise. As a Lead Data Engineer you will work with business partners to modernize design standards and development practices to grow and transform our analytics landscape. Your ability to design, build and deploy data solutions that capture, explore, transform, and utilize data will support Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and business intelligence/insights. As a data and technology subject matter expert you will influence strategy, support delivery, and translate complex data into user-friendly terminology to educate end users on data products and the analytic environment.
The role will be part of a full-stack data & reporting team to create data pipelines, ensure quality & accuracy, design & build BI visualizations, automate SQL scripts, all to deliver world-class data visualizations and analytics for our customers. Create and enhance data solutions that enable seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem. Provide technical analysis and develop ETL code and scripting to meet all technical specifications and business requirements according to the established designs. Successful candidate will have a broad, conceptual understanding of the business and technology architecture trends and directions coupled with demonstrated technical mastery for technologies, frameworks, and/or languages and has the ability to influence and/or set technical direction.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices. Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Incorporate assurance processes into data solutions.
- Guide team members as they build complex data solutions, correct problems, apply transformations, and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions.
- Design complex data solutions, including incorporating new data sources and ensuring designs are consistent across projects and aligned to data strategies.
- Define and build frameworks for data solutions that can be applied to multiple projects.
- Perform analysis of complex sources to determine value and utilize your subject matter expertise to recommend data to include in analytical processes.
- Incorporate core data management competencies including data governance, data security and data quality.
- Collaborate and build consensus with leadership and diverse groups of stakeholders in defining, estimating, prioritizing and planning of projects.
- Perform data and system analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of high complexity and correct as appropriate.
- Define standards and frameworks for testing on data movement and transformation code and data components.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation.
- Seven years of data engineering or equivalent experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM related field or equivalent
- Experience with Python, AWS, ETL (Ab Initio)
- Experience with Salesforce or MongoDB a plus
- Excellent delivery skills with the ability to examine and assess the effectiveness of software design strategies and methodologies, devise, apply, and share ways to ensure the quality of complex computer systems, incorporate awareness and understanding of work happening outside of the team, and develop widely used technical metrics that enable engineers to better understand and deliver their work.
- Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to improve company level capabilities within domain, consult on business priorities and optimize value by identifying business aligned solutions and thoughtfully and practically introduce concepts and technologies from the industry.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to create architecture that is particularly robust against single points of failure, both in terms of systems and people, and looks ahead 6-12 months to identify areas of need and turns this into action.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document effectively, collaborate across disparate groups, and model and assist others in the practice of mindful communication, active listening, and messaging.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to engage with other leaders and networks to solve problems as well as work to improve the entire engineering organization by teaching others and sharing knowledge while creating opportunities for others to showcase and develop skills.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/ .