Leads the DevOps practice for our organization, setting standards for our cloud environments as well as for testing, process automation, monitoring, and performance analysis. Participates in the design, automation, deployment, debugging, testing and maintenance of software code to build and deploy business application (including infrastructure).
- Lead, motivate and mentor a talented team of engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and maintenance of cloud infrastructure, and applications running on that infrastructure.
- Lead small projects or regularly coach other team members to ensure business application systems are supported in a way that complies with established methodologies and practices.
- Performs maintenance, installations, upgrades, and other technical duties associated with the support of product applications platforms and/or product systems platforms.
- Manages the team to provide on call support on weekends and holidays and is available to provide off hours support for after-hours maintenance and production issues.
- Administer, monitor, and deploy systems and services on AWS and cloud platforms.
- Seek improvements in current tool set and processes and recommends enhancements.
- Knowledgeable in DBA tasks and can lead the team to work with Infrastructure and AppDev teams in trouble-shooting complex database issues.
- Lead design and implementation efforts to achieve multi-region resiliency in the cloud.
- Lead projects and ensure completion on time with full accountability. Escalates critical issue to management and collaborate with teams to ensure timely completion.
- Troubleshoots and guides others on a wide variety of complex problems and identifies solutions within broad application and functional expertise.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the full application stack. Makes recommendations to improve performance and minimize downtime across all parts of the environment.
- Constantly provide input to improve Deployment Framework and help enhance procedures.
- Builds relationships with other IT departments and business units. Acts as liaison/business relationship manager to broker infrastructure services with internal and external customers.
Knowledge and Skills/Technology Used
- Expert-level proficiency in cloud environments like AWS, with preferably 2 or more years of experience with the suite of AWS services leveraged when providing automated DevSecOps solutions, including CloudFormation, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, EC2, IAM, Lambda, DynamoDB, Route 53, S3, RDS, SES, or VPC
- Experience with one of the following containers and container platforms: Docker, Kubernetes, or OpenShift
- Experience with developing Terraform and custom scripting to build infrastructure as code (IaC)
- Experience with building and configuration CI / CD pipelines with build tools such as Jenkins or similar technologies.
- Experience with machine image management, specifically building Amazon Machine Images (AMI) using Packer and Chef or Ansible.
- Three of more years’ experience in developing tools and scripts using such languages as Python, Node.js, Bash or Powershell.
- Experience with version control systems with Git such as BitBucket or Azure DevOps.
- Working knowledge of SQL and relational databases. (SQL Server)
- Well-developed social skills to build alliances around DevOps goals and accelerate processes.
- Experience in deploying/managing software to on-premises, co-located, cloud, and hybrid cloud.
- Experience with the Agile processes and tools such as Jira, Confluence.
- Excellent working knowledge of basic networking and security is required (routing, subnets, firewalls, load balancers).
- Experience in multi-platform systems administration. (Linux/Windows)
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Splunk, AppDynamics, DataDog, etc.
- Experience with security scanning tools such as Veracode, Fortify, or Qualys.
- Experience working in high traffic, fault tolerant, and highly available 24/7/365 environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Constantly updating technical knowledge and skills and mentoring others to increase the skill level of the department.
- Ability to convey technical and conceptual ideas/topics to non-technical personnel.
- Proven project leadership abilities, and solid project management skills.
- Expertise in training and coaching teams.
- Experience working with a remote / distributed team.
- Previous experience working as a software developer is desired.
- Evidence of curiosity, personal growth, and continuous self-improvement over career.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
Typical Range of Experience
- Typically 7+ years of directly related experience. Previous supervisory experience preferred