PHEAA is seeking an Enterprise Monitoring Technical Lead in Houston, TX. The Enterprise Monitoring Technical Lead provides technical expertise in the analysis, design, configuration and implementation of new features and continued support of the Agency's performance monitoring software. The Enterprise Monitoring Technical Lead is responsible for creating integration architecture guidelines and standards that support the needs of the business. This role has advanced experience with extensive proficiency and works on the most complex issues independently and is expected to mentor less experienced team members.
Application System Monitoring
* Interpret technical requirements to define, design, implement and document solutions that meet the Agency's needs.
* Collaborate with Information Technology (IT) teams to gather requirements, implement metric collection and develop intuitive on-line user tools, alerts, and reports.
* Design and configure metrics to generate preventative alerts before a critical production issue occurs causing an outage.
* Responsible for developing the standards, policies and procedures regarding the use of monitoring software in all environments.
* Plan, implement and maintain the most effective architecture and server topology to meet the monitoring strategy.
* May interact with product vendors/suppliers.
* Responsible for developing detail design, execution and troubleshooting of strategic solution in support of effective systems monitoring, alerting, escalation, automation, reporting and event correlation.
* Develop and maintain comprehensive user interface strategy, ensure that the implementations of new systems and services are taking into account the monitoring aspects and providing the necessary documentation and procedures, to all necessary parties, to ensure consistency in monitoring.
* Ensure the health of the monitoring software environments by keeping the environments current with upgrades and patches and by troubleshooting and resolving issues with the associated tools.
* Mentor less experienced analysts. This will include reviewing work for adherence to standards and to provide technical guidance.
* Provide training to teams who use the monitoring software.
* Expert with setup and maintenance of monitoring solutions (i.e. agents, servers, scripts, etc) and dashboards used to view status reported by monitors.
* Expert troubleshooting problems that may arise, getting to the root cause to facilitate solving the problem(s).
* Analyze complex problems and evaluate alternatives from a practical point of view. Drive through blocking issues to reach positive outcomes.
Upgrade Implementation and Communication
* Manage highly complex application upgrades.
* Evaluate upgrades to determine changes needed before implementation or how to leverage upgrade functionality.
* Partner with other Information Technology (IT) personnel within the department units, functional users and vendors; manage project implementation and user support.
* Assists manager in developing scopes, plans and prioritizing multiple projects.
* Required to stay current in industry specific knowledge.
* May sit on/or participate in industry specific user groups/or committees.
* Provide status updates and time reporting.
* Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
* Minimum qualifications: Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience. At least four plus years of experience in a large, complex enterprise application development environment designing, analyzing, configuring, and troubleshooting an application and/or infrastructure monitoring system or the equivalent combination of training, experience and knowledge.
* Advanced experience with Relational databases and Structured Query Language (SQL) concepts.
* Proficient with HP SiteScope, CA Application Performance Management (APM), CA Customer Experience Manager (CEM), CA Unified Infrastructure Manager (UIM), and/or Splunk, or with other commercial off-the-shelf technology (COTS) application and infrastructure monitoring tools and concepts.
* Effective communication skills necessary to make yourself understood when speaking about complex technical subjects.
* Ability to plan, organize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Proven track record analyzing moderately complex information to draw alternative conclusions.
* Self-starter with an aptitude to learn new technology quickly.
* Proficient problem solving skills and the ability to focus attention on details.
* Demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills.
* Proven experience mentoring others.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
* If selected for a position, following a conditional job offer, all candidates for employment must be able to pass a criminal background check which are not an automatic bar to employment, a student loan check where all loans must be in good standing, and provide proof of education. Candidates for this position would need to obtain the Public Trust security clearance. For this level of clearance, the federal government has a requirement that all applicants possess U.S. citizenship.
* Advanced experience with WebSphere Application Server (WAS)
* Advanced experience with PHEAA's Web or COMPASS business applications.
* Advanced experience in Java programming and application frameworks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Physical Requirements and Work Environment
* This position requires participation in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation. On-call requires carrying a cell-phone and responding to calls within the agreed upon timeframe set within PHEAA's standards. Internet connectivity from home is required as part of the on-call rotation.
Candidates will enjoy our comprehensive total rewards program offering Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF) health/dental insurance and defined benefit plan, as well as life insurance, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, enrollment into the State Employee Retirement System (SERS) with multiple plan options , and generous paid vacations and holidays.
Created in 1963 by the Pennsylvania General Assembly, the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) has evolved into one of the nation's leading student aid organizations. Today, PHEAA is a national provider of student financial aid services, serving millions of students and thousands of schools through its loan guaranty, loan servicing, financial aid processing, outreach, and other student aid programs.
PHEAA's earnings are used to support its public service mission and to pay its operating costs, including administration of the Pennsylvania State Grant and other state-funded student aid programs. PHEAA continues to devote its energy, resources, and imagination to developing innovative ways to ease the financial burden of higher education for students, families, schools, and taxpayers.
PHEAA conducts its student loan servicing activities nationally as American Education Services (AES) and FedLoan Servicing (FLS). #LI-SH1 #DICE
PHEAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Department: Infrastructure Applications