Why Work for Us?
The Michaels Companies, Inc., is North America s largest arts and crafts specialty retailer. Together the teams in our stores, distribution and manufacturing centers, and support center work together to help our customers make creativity happen. We offer career growth, benefits packages, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, and more. Michaels Team Members also enjoy a wide variety of ways to save including discounts at our stores, select fitness and childcare centers, restaurants, hotels, and more.
We are currently recruiting for a Lead IT DevOps / Java Development located in our Support Center (Global Headquarters) located in Irving, TX.
What will you be doing?
A leader who is responsible for delivering value leveraging technology-enabled solutions as well as providing on-going support for new projects and enhancements for Digital eCommerce and Mobile area. He/she also is responsible for leading and guiding the IT Strategic Partner resources and other third party/vendor resources in their designated areas. The lead should be well-versed with IT Development and Quality Assurance leadership skills and experience.
How will you do it?
Leadership & Area Management:
- Execute projects using Agile, CI/CD and DevOps methodologies
- Provide thought leadership with business partners and IT teams to build, align and execute to the strategic and tactical goals for the designated functional areas in a portfolio
- Operate with a commitment to embracing emerging trends, operations and technologies that are applicable to the business
- Collaborate, influence and communicate with business on project/enhancement prioritization and delivery/support status
- Serves as an escalation point for incidents, problems, and service requests for designated areas in a portfolio
- Coordinate and establish solution area(s), project schedules and release plans
- Provide input for the annual project area(s) roadmap, schedule and related budgets and forecasts
- Demonstrate leadership in the pursuit of excellence and continuous process improvement initiatives
- Enhance own and teams' working knowledge of the designated functional areas and applications/technologies
- Ensure associates roles and capabilities are optimally aligned to meet the support standards and/or business needs
- Adheres to department operations standards, follows the prescribed SDLC process and operational framework
- Participate in the recruiting, interviewing and selection process of newly hired associates
- Provide mentoring, coaching and development for associates.
- Expertise in IT Quality Assurance, Automation, Performance and Security testing concepts and best practices.
- Develop and enhance test methodologies and framework
- Accountable for the delivery of new projects on time, within budget and with high quality within their designated areas of a portfolio
- Develop and recommend solution options to meet business needs
- Assist to ensure projects are appropriately estimated, scheduled, planned and executed
- Determine, monitor and review project budgets, schedules and resource requirements
- Manage 3rd party service providers to ensure timely execution of project deliverables and quality
- Lead assigned IT projects in the designated portfolio
- Experience with IT build and release management processes
- Provide clear, concise and timely communication to project team members, stakeholders, senior management and other groups as appropriate.
- Coordinates issue/risk resolution between teams.
- Ensure projects follow Michaels defined project delivery methodology, architectural standards, processes and policies to ensure quality of solutions
- Ensure projects follow Michaels defined project delivery methodology, architectural standards, processes and policies to ensure quality of solutions.
- Apply Critical thinking and diligence to guide team in right direction.
- The ability to quickly switch between tasks as priority demands.
- Ability to identify problems and collects data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions to solve the problem
Applications Support, Performance Measurement and Continuous Improvement:
- Accountable for maintaining stable operations and executing within or exceeding SLAs for designated area(s) of applications
- Proactively monitor and provide input to Manager regarding outsourced partner(s) performance and escalate deficiencies.
- Work with the Support teams and Vendor s Support Manager to respond to escalated Incidents, Problems and Service Requests for application support
- Assist Manager with managing the business relationships and communications for assigned applications
- Implement the application lifecycle roadmap. Assist Manager in determining support/maintenance milestones for upgrades.
- Manages technology upgrades, patches, or break fix
- Assist Manager in collaborating with key stakeholders to prioritize and schedule support requests and ensure timely and efficient closure of tickets.
- Plan and manage execution of Peak Season support
- Facilitate incident, defect and enhancement review and prioritization discussions with the Infrastructure Support organization
- Measure support services performance against service levels using measurable KPIs
- Prepare management dashboard of the designated areas service performance
- Champion improvements of systems to solve problems, improve stability and drive down support costs
- Leverage support best practices and process frameworks, such as the ITIL, to drive continual process improvement
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and best practices
- Provide quality and testing support for all projects involving assigned applications
- Researching on new Tools and Technology which can improve team s performance, effectiveness and efficiency
- Implement development and testing frameworks / processes to facilitate planning and execution for new enhancements
- Handling complex quality assurance and test environment problems/issues across multiple projects
- Work with cross functional onshore/offshore team to establish test methodology, resolves issues during testing process
- Production support background & website monitoring experience
- Lead projects to automate testing for websites, API, RESTful services, and mobile apps
- Bachelor's Degree
- Computer Science, Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or related field of study
- Java development
- 5+ years of experience
- Demandware Salesforce (or similar retail eCommerce platforms) is preferred
- Good working knowledge on Web services REST, SOAP
- Retail/eCommerce experience is preferred
- Solid DevOps and QA experience in an Agile environment
- Additional technical skills required based on area of support
- 5+ years of experience in progressively responsible IT positions; Technical leadership or relevant areas of business
- 5+ years experience in working with business to understand the requirement and providing best solutions
- 5+ years experience in identifying solutions to production problems to help reduce ticket counts and improve stability of applications
- Production support background
- Retail background; knowledge of retail systems or business experience
- Experience with complex IT system implementations
- Experience in educating others on Project Management methodologies
- Developing strategic thought process
- Strong project management
- Knowledge and experience with supporting IT applications and environments
- Knowledge and experience with complex IT system implementations
- Ability to effectively coordinate work across multiple areas of the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, negotiation skills, interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented person with strong problem-solving abilities
- Team oriented with strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to drive change
- Ability to build professional relationships at all levels
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and business expectations
- Manages hiring, performance management, coaching and career development, and succession planning for their staff
- Provides direction to others so that corporate goals, strategies, and objectives can be achieved
- Must possess strong analytical and financial analysis skills
- Retail eCommerce, Mobile Apps, Development and Test Management tool, Test Automation, Performance and Security testing skills.
- IT Project leadership, DevOps, Quality Assurance and release management.