About CenturyLinkCenturyLink (NYSE: CTL)
is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world's best networking company by solving customers' increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers' trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business. Job Summary
Lead Engineer - Federal will work in a challenging, hands-on environment supporting the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and other specialized customers in support of National Cyber Protection System (NCPS) initiatives.Job Description
Basic Qualifications and Duties:
• Education: Bachelor degree in a related field or equivalent work experience in the communications, networking, and/or cyber security fields
• Demonstrated ability to work in a consultative manner with others, i.e. establish rapport, interview/fact-find, define requirements, present options/recommend solutions, follow-up, and customer focused behavior
• Proven ability to work in a dynamic team environment with changing requirements and competing priorities
• Ability to develop and follow procedures and policies, open/update service tickets, anticipate problems, and proactively take corrective action
• Ability to diagram and create Visio Diagrams of Network/System Architecture
• Ability to work independently when necessary to get task completed daily
• Ability to work cross functionally with Engineers, Project Managers, and Developers
• Ability to develop innovative and creative solutions
• Understand and research technical issues through vendor documentation
• Create training manuals and train new and existing team members
• Proactively provide management with situational awareness on daily and ongoing issues
• Interest in leading edge technologies. Desire to develop own skills and knowledge
• Required computer skills include Outlook, MS Office application suite, circuit topology, and testing toolsQualifications
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• 7+ years of experience with ticketing systems (i.e. Remedy) and Monitoring Tools (i.e. Solarwinds/Nagios/JIRA)
• 7+ years of experience with configuring Dynamic Routing Protocols (specifically BGP), IPsec, and VLANS and PKI
• 7+ years of experience monitoring, configuring, troubleshooting Tier 1/2/3 events in switches, routers, and firewalls.
• Must have extensive working knowledge of the following: Juniper (JunOS), Netscreen Firewalls SolarWinds, Cisco Networking Hardware, F5 proxies, related networking devices within Blade Server technology and VMWare technology.
• Must be available for rotating on-call and work after hours as needed.
• Candidate must be a Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply.
• Must have an active Department of Defense Top Secret SCI clearance to be considered for this position
• Professional level certifications supporting experience and abilities
• Must have experience with the following: Access-lists (VACL/ACL), Firewalls, IDP, DNS, SMTP, IOS upgrades, IPsec VPNs, BGP, and PKI.
• Must be able to troubleshoot in high pressure situations with customers and peers.
• Excel in written and verbal communication.
• Available to work modified schedule outside normal business hoursAlternate Location:
US-Virginia-Herndon Requisition #:
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/ EEO Statement
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. Disclaimer
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.