The Lead SQL Server Database Administrator is responsible for all activities related to the administration of computerized databases. He/She works independently and within a team and will be responsible for resolving technical issues, estimating and scheduling tasks, as well as technical leadership within the group. Business matters will be treated with the utmost urgency and focus on results and deadlines until each task or project is completed is key. The qualified candidate will display excellent problem solving, analytical, communication, coordination and task management skills. Confers with and advises the team on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities, and methods. Daily activities will include monitoring database environments, participating in planning meetings, providing estimates, handling ad-hoc requests, and tracking and communicating daily progress on projects and initiatives. This position will also take on various responsibilities throughout the
department as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Work with engineers to determine where the databases will reside in multi-tier distributed/shared applications, comparing hardware/infrastructure alternatives in conjunction with cost, use, growth, supportability, etc.
* Planning and executing database monitoring, maintenance, patching and upgrades, and working with infrastructure teams for scheduled maintenance and upgrades
* Work with Information Security team to define and implement standards, controls and security; adhere to IT audit requirements
* Work with the other database administration team members, resolve technical issues and help estimate and schedule tasks
* Define database authorization rules, perform security audit, and perform platform assessment regarding proper support for the selected databases. Read and implement entity-relationship diagrams
* Handle multiple projects simultaneously and engage in problem solving on these projects
* Collaborate with application architects, product managers, business analysts and technical management team to design, develop and document databases, schemas, tables, functions, triggers, procedures, relationships and other necessary aspects of the database
* Design and develop complex database design from high level business requirements. Must be able to provide database design options, alternatives and recommendations based on experience and best practices for database design
* Establish standards for documentation and ensure that all designs are documented.
* Other tasks as assigned
* Bachelor's Degree or higher strongly preferred in Computer Science or a related discipline and typically eight to ten years of experience
* 7+ years of SQL database administration experience.
* In depth experience with database installation, configuration and upgrade.
* Table space management of SQL databases.
* Excellent knowledge of Database backup and recovery of very large databases, typically multi terabytes.
* Expert level of performance and tuning skills.
* Excellent knowledge of SQL database/instance tuning, optimizing complex SQL statements for best possible performance.
* Proven leadership skills and ability to manage instances with multiple operating system platforms.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Experience in managing databases in cloud environments is a plus.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days of work are Monday through Friday. The daily schedule may vary from 8 am to 5 pm or 9 am to 6 pm. Hours may vary or exceed 40 in any given week depending on the needs of the business. Depending on system needs and emergencies, the manager may be called in on weekends and overnight hours on occasion.
This position will require up to 10% travel.
ACA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ACA complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.