As a member of the Systems Administration team, the Lead Systems Administrator is responsible for leading the design, architecture, configuration, implementation, optimization and ongoing support of enterprise-level servers and systems distributed both on-premise and off-premise in support of IT Operations service campus and customers. The Lead Systems Administrator will work collaboratively with other administrators, engineers, developers and leadership to design and manage back-end systems and application support for high demand, highly scalable and redundant, mission critical, complex systems for academic applications, business applications and data warehouses for customers and projects. Typical responsibilities include technical design, analysis and deployment of complex enterprise systems and servers; advanced configuration and optimization of operating systems and applications; automation of server provisioning, application deployment and systems management; quality assurance, testing, troubleshooting systems; providing training to other systems administrators, and project planning, communications and management from beginning to completion; evaluating ongoing processes and programs and providing recommendations for improvement, providing technical guidance for capacity planning, business continuity, and investment on new technologies and solutions to meet dynamic business needs. The Lead Systems Administrator will also provide 3rd level support for incidents or outages, conduct root cause analysis and document solution within defined service levels; provide after hours and on call support as assigned or requested. This role will be assigned to the Ascend Project, a major transformation project to improve our financial systems and processes for the UCLA enterprise.
- Demonstrated expert level experience in the design, configuration, installation and support of Linux/Unix based servers, Apache/Tomcat web servers and/or Windows 2003/2008/2012/2016 server Operation Systems, Active Directory and IIS server.
- Demonstrated experience with supporting complex high-availability multi-tiered systems (web, application and database) used to support mission-critical applications.
- Demonstrated experience with developing scripts that automate systems administration tasks, package deployment and reporting using programming languages such as Ansible, BASH, Perl, Python or PowerShell etc.
- Demonstrated experience in server patch and configuration management using endpoint management tools, and management of DNS server, CA server and server certificates in an ITIL-compliant environment.
- Demonstrated experience in the enterprise level of server design, provisioning and management in VMWare and the AWS cloud computing environment.
- Advanced knowledge in high-availability systems, failover, virtualization and business continuity planning and implementation; ability to guide systems testing, analyze logs and optimize system performance.
- Skilled in the configuration of communications protocols and services such as TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS, HTTP, NTP, FTP, SSH, and LDAP.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and prepare project plans and schedules with only general guidance; skill in estimating time and effort required for software tasks and projects.
- Experience with network and host based security strategies, utilities and procedures; able to perform security scans, audit results and resolve security related issues.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to diagnose and resolve technical problems independently as well as in collaboration with other technical staff.
- Demonstrated experience with the application of industry standard practices and principals in the design and configuration of systems/networks.
- Skilled in communicating effectively both orally and in writing; ability to create comprehensive technical documentation; develop and deliver presentations on technical topics to audiences of varying knowledge and level.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as required for installations, maintenance, troubleshooting and on-call support.
- Familiarity with IT Service Management and ITILv3 practices including incident, problem root cause analysis, change and configuration management procedures.
- Ability to lift, move, and carry objects weighing 50 pounds with assistance using proper posture.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering (or similar) OR combination of relevant professional experience and education.
- Experience in supporting Oracle Cloud Platform, Oracle Hyperion, and Cognos data warehouse systems (Preferred).
- Skilled in both Linux/Unix and Windows server administration (Preferred).