About The Position
Seeking an experienced systems engineer to help design EO/IR sensors and cameras systems used in the detection and identification of aerial, land-based and maritime targets. Products include gimbals and payload systems capable of real-time, short, medium and long-range detection, used for Intelligence, Surveillance, Targeting and Reconnaissance and in search and rescue operations.
This role will provide engineering leadership and support of technical projects which promote the advancement of our surveillance product lines (EO/IR sensors and camera systems.) They person will defining requirements, system architecture, planning, error budgets, modeling, design analysis and trades, and product verification. Conducts analysis, investigations and testing of considerable complexity both in product development and production issues. Lead systems work on multidiscipline projects of considerable complexity and contribute technically to the project’s success with experience in EO/IR sensors & optical systems engineering.
Location: This role is onsite at the Teledyne FLIR facility in Billerica MA and the new hire will work onsite most days of the week. Out of area candidates must be open to relocation to the Billerica area.
Relocation Assistance: We will offer a relocation stipend to out of area candidates.
- Lead and contribute to all aspects of systems engineering efforts for the development of EO/IR sensor products in the areas of concept definition, system architecture, requirements development, radiometric systems design & analysis, optical engineering, performance modeling, prototype testing, troubleshooting and performance verification.
- Create requirements, specifications, test plans and procedures for systems with emphasis on sensor technology, optical systems, and system integration and test. Develop flow down specifications for systems and subsystems.
- Participate in project planning with measurable milestone and regular progress reporting.
- Perform range and optical analyses and lead/contribute to optical systems development and image sensor selection for the product groups.
- Create and present technical papers, reports, analysis, and proposals to both internal and external personnel.
- Provide interdisciplinary design & product support. Provide systems engineering support and coordination for ensuring optical, mechanical, software, and electrical design conformance to requirements of the overall system.
- As a key member of the development team, ensure that the design implementation will meet specifications. Responsible for relevant systems engineering portions of the New Product Introduction (NPI) process, Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and support of First Article Inspection (FAI) efforts, as requested.
- Responsible for leading and supporting extensive laboratory testing and qualification efforts for new and existing optical systems and EO/IR sensor products. Develop all necessary test plans and procedures, perform data collection, analyze data, and document results.
- Good working knowledge and experience in optical engineering sciences. Optical systems analysis, alignment techniques, and experience with optical telescope measurements. Working knowledge of ZEMAX and other lens design software is preferred.
- Support FPA engineering activities (both design verification and production product support). Some background and working knowledge of IR detectors (InSb, MCT, uncooled microbolometers, InGaAs, QWIP, SLS, etc.) to include NIR, SWIR, MWIR and LWIR bands. Experience with color and low-light image sensors.
- Prefer some experience and general working knowledge of Solid-State Laser systems (i.e., pointers, illuminators, range finders and designators). Willingness and ability to conduct basic lab measurements of these devices and sensor payloads.
- Support Business Development and Sales in the areas of new customer requirements analysis, proposal writing, sensor performance modeling and fielding technical inquiries.
- Provide systems engineering support to manufacturing, production and customer service groups, as needed, in support of existing products. Take a leading role in troubleshooting technical issues.
- BS in physics, engineering, or optical science.
- Advance degree preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in EO/IR imaging systems product design and development with some related experience with lasers.
- Proven systems leadership experience through several projects.
- Familiar with military system requirements, modeling, validation, and qualification.
- Familiar with one of more of the following design and analysis packages used for optical engineering and systems engineering (including: NVTHERM/NV-IPM, SSCAM, DOORS, IRWindows 4, NVLabCap, MODTRAN, ZEMAX, FRED, MATLAB, MathCad, and Excel).
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with internal team, management, vendors, and customers
- Ability to represent the company in a wide range of business situations.
- Ability to obtain a US Security Clearance.
At Teledyne FLIR, we have a simple but ambitious mission: to develop market-leading thermal and sensing technologies which enhance everyday life. From saving energy, to saving lives Teledyne FLIR is making a real difference in our world.
Our products are used in a wide array of situations to rescue people in danger, detect criminals, conserve energy, navigate safely, provide security around the globe, and protect our environment.
We are looking for individuals who thrive on making an impact and want the excitement of being on a team that wins.
COVID Vaccination Requirement: Due to Federal Contract requirements, this position requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless granted a medical or religious exemption.
Applicants must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, legal permanent resident, asylee, refugee or must be eligible to apply for and obtain the appropriate export control license from the U.S. Departments of State or Commerce.
COVID Requirements: Certain Executive Orders require employees working at government locations to be vaccinated for COVID unless an exemption applies. If your work requires you to be at those designated sites, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination.
Teledyne FLIR and all of our employees are committed to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We require all employees to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and regulatory orders. Our reputation for honesty, integrity and high ethics is as important to us as our reputation for making innovative sensing solutions.
Teledyne FLIR is an equal opportunity employer.