The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) in La Jolla, CA has an immediate career opening for a Lead Systems Engineer. This opening is located at IDA's Center for Communications Research in La Jolla, California (CCR-L). IDA offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package and a superior professional working environment. To the right individual, IDA offers the opportunity to have a major impact on key national programs while working on fascinating technical issues.
We are seeking a Lead Systems Engineer, who with minimal supervision, envisions, designs, administers, and maintains multiple IT systems, servers and software. Applies advanced subject matter expertise to develop solutions to solve a full range of complex problems. The engineer must be organized, self-motivated and able to handle responsibilities such as the oversight of multifaceted system deployments and upgrades and also contributing to and leading large program and project initiatives that integrate multiple technologies. The engineer will collaborate with senior management in the strategic planning and development of functional requirements, mentor junior IT staff on systems integration and operations while promoting IT best practices and adherence to corporate IT practices and security policy. #ITatIDA Responsibilities Takes the primary role as project leader and designer of new IT technology initiatives. Provides formal project management documentation and partners with junior staff to ensure the successful deployment and transition of operational support to junior administrators. Develops test and integration plans for new systems and software in order to ensure compatibility with current IT infrastructure. Builds new physical and virtual servers to design specifications as necessary. Provides operational support and maintenance, when necessary, to ensure systems functionality, availability, security, and performance. Ensures all systems meet or exceed the business and security requirements in accordance with IDA, DOD, NSA, DISA and DSS directives and guidelines. Mentors junior staff and coordinates work assignments of junior administrators to ensure project schedules are maintained. Prepares technical documentation, to include standard operating procedures and processes. Develops resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity. Coordinates resources to resolve problems when necessary. Administers and maintains classified and unclassified systems and services to ensure optimum performance and availability. Maintains technical proficiency in new IT technologies; keeps abreast of industry trends, and makes recommendations to improve or advance services and system performance. Communicates all computer network, system and service problems and outages immediately to the appropriate supervisors and/or managers. Must be willing to work hours outside of a regular schedule and if required, responds to critical after-hours support issues. Performs other duties as assigned. Qualifications
Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related field coupled with eight years minimum experience in Information Technology, which includes at least six years in systems administration OR high school diploma with ten years minimum experience in Information Technology, which includes at least six years in systems administration.
- Possess advanced, subject matter expertise in design, administration, and support of servers, systems, and software, preferably Linux/Unix. Experience in more than one of the following areas is preferred:
- High Performance Computing (HPC) systems or large cluster computing, including GPU based systems.
- High performance storage technologies such as Lustre or Hadoop.
- HPC or High Throughput Computing (HTC) job allocation technologies such as Slurm or HTCondor.
- Parallel computing libraries and environments such as MPI and CUDA
- High performance network technologies such as InfiniBand and GigE
- Authentication, access control, compliance and security in a DOD environment
- Open Source software installation and support
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form and with all levels of employees.
- Position requires ability to obtain and maintain Top Secret/SCI security clearance with lifestyle polygraph. Current TS/SCI with lifestyle polygraph clearance preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain DOD 8570 IAT II certification.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
Equal Opportunity Employer