Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
We are currently searching for a Linux Administrator to provide support to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a permanent, full-time position with MSC and it is on-site in Bethesda, Maryland.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hands-on provisioning of services, monitoring, upgrading hardware and software, configuration management, and understanding and maintaining peripheral services and software
- Serve as primary administrator for many of NCBI’s cloud solutions
- Create and maintain Amazon Web Services hosted copies of PubMed and other NCBI services
- Help maintain the internal ticketing and workflow management system.
- Take direction from the team lead and work within a team-environment to achieve organizational goals
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user requests through an established trouble ticketing system
- Work closely with internal and external groups to ensure NCBI data and security integrity is being maintained when using AWS
- Provide hands-on problem solving with DevOps issues within the department
- Resumes should include one to two paragraphs of prose for each position detailing a specific problem that the candidate took ownership for, the solution adopted and how it was implemented.
- Bachelor’s degree or 5 years of related experience
- Demonstrated significant experience in Linux Systems Administration
- Highly versed in Linux administration and best practices
- Knowledge of cloud technology, specifically AWS
- Experience supporting large web applications environment
- Familiar with enterprise network architectures
- Experience with automated configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc… Puppet is preferred).
- Fluency in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least two of Bash, Ruby, Python, and Perl
- General understanding of Linux internals (system calls, file systems, processes, etc…)
- General understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols (HTTP, FTP, NFS, etc…)
- Familiarity with large, complex Linux environments
- Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge
- Team player who is nevertheless able to work with minimum supervision
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.