Linux Automation/Infrastructure Engineer
The Linux Automation/Infrastructure Engineer will support the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Infrastructure Services Division’s (ISD) Operating Systems Administration and Engineering Section (OSAES). The Linux Automation/Infrastructure is a technical leadership role responsible for evaluation, recommendation, design, implementation, and ongoing support of the computer infrastructure services and to ensure high availability, redundancy, recoverability, and capacity. The Linux Automation/Infrastructure Engineer is expected to maintain, and develop in depth knowledge in multiple technical areas to include:
- Operating systems (RHEL)
- Red Hat Satellite 6
- Automation – Foreman, Puppet and Ansible
- Virtualization (Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization)
- Private and public clouds (Open Stack and Open Shift)
- Red Hat Identity Management
- Red Hat Cloudforms Management
- Cisco UCS
- Monitoring tools (Nagios/Check-MK)
The position will also work closely with the other groups in the Infrastructure Services Division to include- networking, data center, storage, security and architecture teams. This is a full-time position and the work location will be at or near the USPTO headquarters in Alexandria, VA supporting the Server and Storage Services Branch, OS Administration and Engineering Section.
- Will assist with providing administration, troubleshooting, configuration, installation, deployment, maintenance, upgrades, and high availability design projects.
- Provide direction and day to day support for the virtualization infrastructure (RHEV/Foreman/Puppet).
- Provide direction and support for private and public cloud environments (OpenStack and Openshift).
- Provide high-availability operational support and automate solutions across the infrastructure.
- Ensure that all supported environments are monitored to provide alerts when there are problems, including performance (Nagios/GroundWorks and Check-MK).
- Participate in the design, planning, and implementation of new projects / technologies and ensuring that the solutions are highly available and performing.
- Work with the OS Administration and Engineering Section to develop and document standards and procedures.
- Work with the OS Administration and Engineering Section and application development groups to ensure that they have the resources required to support the application environments.
- Be responsible for overseeing major projects for critical and highly visible projects supporting key functional groups across all of USPTO.
- Project level support will require working across multiple functional groups within the OCIO organization and with OCIO customers.
- Provide day-to-day Tier 3 level operational support including responding to incidents, troubleshooting, and executing corrective action.
- Assisting Tier 2 support with after action reports such as Root Cause Analysis Reports, to include researching potential incident/problem mitigation and preventive measures and assisting with putting those measures in place.
- Ensure effective security, operation and peak performance of UNIX/Linux server and virtualization management environments.
- Assist with hardware maintenance and lifecycle planning.
- Development of customer support processes, technical planning, and work coordination
- When necessary, interact with software vendors to reach problem resolution; may include opening a service call, providing logs, and responding to advice received by phone call or email.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- 7+ Years of Senior UNIX Engineer/Administrator experience supporting a medium to large user base (3,000-10,000 users).
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x and 7.x.
- Red Hat Network Satellite Server 5.x and 6.x.
- Working knowledge of networking protocols and components including TCP/IP, DNS, NFS.
- Experience designing and implementing High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Experience with automated system builds and configuration management tools including Red Hat Satellite 6, Foreman, and Puppet, and Ansible.
- Technically fluent in the design and use of multiple Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Managers in a distributed environment.
- Outstanding communications and organization skills.
- Ability and desire to work both independently and with a team.
- Must have hands-on experience performing tuning of clusters.
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages (bash, Perl, Python, Ruby).
Preferred Education, Years of Experience Requirements and Certifications:
- Bachelor's Degree or 10 years of equivalent work experience in IT related work.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Certification
Hours/Shift: Monday through Friday during core business hours of 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM. Actual work hours could vary depending on customer needs.
Work Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Must be able to obtain and hold a security clearance, which requires US Citizenship. You do not need a current/active clearance to apply, but must be able to pass a government Public Trust (SF-85) background investigation.
IIa is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment and random substance abuse testing.