Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can't be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You'll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers' lives. We'll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you'll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you'll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Linux Capabilities Manager plans, directs and drives execution of Linux hosting capabilities for the enterprise. This role encompasses system design, testing, implementation, consumption and operational maintenance of all related Linux systems and technologies. Exercises thought leadership and innovation in the resolution of technical challenges and the creation of long-term technical roadmaps for Linux and Linux-variant solutions. You will drive the team to execute robust platform automation, including server deployment and configuration management. Manage a diverse team of engineers and act as an escalation point for critical business request. Drive the team to meet expectations and to work across teams to achieve common goals. Actively participate in production outages, outage investigation, resolution and root-cause analysis.
Span of Control:
- Manage enterprise Linux hosting environment (6000+ hosts)
- Manage team of 8-12 Linux engineers
- Manage budget for the platform
- Vendor and contract management
- Responsible for Linux platform and large-scale solutions across our compute landscape
- Provide technical direction and escalation for technologies maintained within the Linux compute space
- Drive innovation and automation both internally and for our customers
- Use scripting tools to automate tasks and Linux server builds (Ansible, Puppet, Shell, Python, etc.)
- Monitor overall health of the Linux environment with an emphasis on proactive discovery of potential issues
- Responsible for lifecycle management, as well as, the development and deployment of new capabilities within the Linux platform.
- Continually work to improve Linux compute environment
- Contribute as necessary to IT project delivery and implementation
- Identify technology and process improvement opportunities, related to the management and delivery Linux system services
- Propose and implement system enhancements that will improve performance and reliability of the Linux hosting environment
- Collaborate with IT managers to continually improve operations through routine monitoring of system performance metrics, review of system log files, trend analysis, configuration, incident and problem management processes
- Provide support to technical teams and the business areas
- Ensure appropriate security controls are in place that will safeguard the platform
- Collaborates with our Information Security organization to provide secure solutions
- Build long-term relationships within team and amongst peers by creating an environment of safety, innovation, integrity, and honest open communication.
- Model and create an environment of accountability for direct reports and peers
- Establish vision, direction and specific objectives for team efforts allowing individual freedom of action to accomplish objectives.
Key Responsibilities (Cont'd)
- Set and execute platform strategy, including objectives, plans and policies to develop and deliver innovative solutions and systems in support of Enterprise goals.
- Facilitate project delivery and support for complex infrastructure projects of critical importance.
- Drive decisions that have an impact on quality, availability and effectiveness of business activities beyond immediate teams.
- Participate in long-term technology strategies that contribute to Allstate business and functional strategies.
- Influence direct reports, clients, service providers and peers to successfully deliver on business goals and commitments.
- Partner with others in the organization to set and manage expectations; continually seek opportunities to be a thought partner and deepen relationships.
- Adapt communication approach for audiences at multiple internal and external levels, stay abreast of the latest Linux technology offerings and recommend new capabilities that provide value to Allstate
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Has a solid understanding of Linux/Unix operating system (Build, Patching, Config Drift, Performance Tuning)
- Experience with enterprise Linux and Unix solutions (RedHat, SUSE, Solaris)
- Experience with open source software development and open source governance
- Experience with Containers and Enterprise Orchestration preferred
- 5+ years of technical and people leadership
- Experience leading geographically dispersed teams
- Experience working within the ITIL framework
- Experience working with enterprise level IT infrastructure platforms including Network, Storage and Compute
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary - but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter
or watch a video
.Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here"
for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here"
for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the Company's policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee's ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment