LINUX SYSTEMS ENGINEER
The Linux Systems Engineer is responsible for overseeing Company’s computer systems to ensure proper maintenance and security.
- Installs, updates, and administrates the Company’s Linux-based systems.
- Assists in the planning and implementing additions, deletions, and major modifications to network infrastructure, both onsite and in the cloud.
- Maintains security patching and security hardening.
- Maintains Company’s servers through patch management, log review, and capacity planning.
- Assists the help desk, developers, end-users, clients, and the security team with support issues.
- Provides proactive support and monitoring of Company server and storage networks.
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of Company’s infrastructure, Wide Area Network (WAN), and Local Area Network (LAN).
- Oversees troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving, and disaster recovery.
- Provides expert support when necessary.
- Acts as a backup engineer for Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP) Administration and deploys custom applications written in-house.
- Provides training on any information technology (IT)-related matters to end-users.
- Coordinates third-party maintenance for network equipment and troubleshoots problems with users on the network.
- Manages network performance to maintain high-quality transmission service on the network.
- Maintains, creates, and deletes user accounts.
- Assigns passwords and monitors resource use, backs up files as required, and responds to management requests for information.
- Communicates scheduled repairs, installations, and company hardware and software changes to users.
- Helps to maintain inventory for all hardware and software.
- Evaluates system resources and makes recommendations for procurement where necessary.
- Keeps technical knowledge current.
- Monitors compliance with internal controls for information systems security, including confidentiality and non-disclosure policies.
- Documents all monitoring activities when interacting with external third-party information technology vendors as a contact person, supervisor, or co-worker via e-mail.
- Creates and administers Amazon Web Services (AWS) virtual networks (Elastic Cloud Compute [EC2], Elastic Load Balancing [ELB], Application Load Balancer [ALB], Proxies, Workspaces, Elastic Block Storage [EBS], Relational Database Service [RDS], Simple Storage Service [S3], Identity and Access Management [IAM], ElastiCache, Elasticsearch, Key Management Service [KMS], Route53, Simple Email Service [SES], Simple Queue Service [SQS], Simple Notification Service [SNS], and Lambda).
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Five years or more experience in a Systems Engineer position in a Linux environment.
- Linux Server (mostly Ubuntu) installation and administration.
- Linux Security Proxy creation and administration.
- Linux service troubleshooting.
- Python / YAML scripting.
- Knowledge of installing, configuring, and managing firewalls, switches, routers, and other physical and virtual network devices.
- Proficiency in security, intrusion detection, and disaster recovery strategies.
- Extensive knowledge of current internal and external networking protocols and equipment, data communication/encryption techniques and methodologies, operating systems, network design and security, and monitoring/management tools.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent skills in written and oral communication.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in an IT-related field of study.
- Amazon AWS knowledge, experience, and training.
Deep experience with Amazon’s AWS platform and services, expert at setting up and troubleshooting Linux servers, knowledge of Windows servers, previous automation experience, works independently, and works well in group settings with clients and staff.
- Current AWS Certifications.
- Five or more years of experience working with Amazon AWS environments.
- Five or more years of experience in network/system administration in a Microsoft environment.
- Previous experience as a DevOps Engineer.
- Maintains Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policy Objects (GPO).
- Administrating Windows Server 2019 – 2012R2.
- Previous use of AWS Systems Manager.
- Previous use of AWS Managed AD (Active Directory).
- Previous use of SaltStack configuration management.
- Microsoft 365 administration.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), or Network+ certifications.
- SQL Database Administration (DBA).
- Windows Structured Query Language (SQL) knowledge preferred.
- Amazon Connect Call Center creation and administration.
Organizational “Fit” Considerations:
This position may require at least one after-hours shift a month for maintenance activities. Position requires work after hours and on-demand.