Linux Systems Administrator Team Lead
I.S. Mavens is seeking a candidate for a full time position at NCBI/NLM, part of the National Institutes of Health. NCBI has an immediate vacancy for a senior Linux systems administrator at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD. The successful candidate will operate, maintain, upgrade and troubleshoot a large (1,500 server) base of physical and virtual servers that provides medical and genomic information to cutting-edge researchers around the world in a high-visibility and high-availability system.
There are other teams responsible for Storage, Security, Database, Networking and Hardware Infrastructure, so this position does not require primary responsibility in those areas, but knowledge and experience in these areas are expected.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical direction to team members to achieve organizational goals
- Manage team work assignments and coverage
- Report to management
- Represent team in organizational meetings
- Assist in interviewing/screening additional hires
- Hands-on provisioning of services, monitoring, upgrading hardware and software, configuration management, and understanding and maintaining peripheral services and software
- Provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user requests through an established trouble ticketing system.
- Develop and maintain custom tools in Puppet, Python, Perl, Ruby, and Bash to automate the UNIX infrastructure
- Install, configure and maintain CentOS and associated applications in an automated Puppet environment
- Perform standard administration tasks (packaging, OS installs, patch management)
- Provide UNIX support to NCBI's internal developers and researchers.
- Comfortable with the Linux or UNIX CLI
- Demonstrated significant experience in Linux Systems Administration (5+ years)
- Highly versed in Linux administration and best practices
- Experience with automated configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc., Puppet is preferred)
- Fluency in programming/scripting skills for automation in at least two of Bash, Ruby, Python, and Perl
- General understanding of Linux internals (system calls, file systems, processes, etc.)
- General understanding of TCP/IP and related protocols (HTTP, FTP, NFS, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge
- Team player who is nevertheless able to work with minimum supervision.
- Must have experience with Opensource Linux kernels (CentOS)
- Experience in a large, highly available Linux environment
- Familiar with enterprise network architectures
- Familiarity with large, complex Linux environments
- Experience with Git
- Experience supporting large web applications environment (we have 3.5 million users per day)
- Knowledge of Cloud technology such as AWS and GCP
Please provide cover letter, salary requirements and current work eligibility status when applying.