HP Labs' 3D Lab (3DL) invents next generation 3D printing technology and novel materials, and creates their digital twins to enable digital manufacturing. A key technical foundation that delivers precision manufacturing at voxel level such as HP's Multi Jet Fusion technology is ubiquitous sensing for both machine and products, and process control based on continuous sensing data stream enriched by physics. HP's Multi Jet Fusion 3D printers have been in production worldwide; each production build generates terabytes of data from geometrical processing to in-situ thermal sensing. 3DL has created a highly promising research in applying deep learning to these datasets - a single production build of terabytes, different builds for a single machine, and different builds by different machines in different geographical location. We are expanding this deep learning research project to accelerate our preliminary success. We are inviting you to join our journey.
We expect you an accomplished deep learning specialist, in particular,
1) M.S. or PhD (preferred) in engineering and/or applied physics from reputable universities and research programs.
2) Research experiences on applying deep learning to solve scientific problems; applied physics/hardware physical science background is a plus.
3) Hands on experiences in deep learning; experiences with recurrent neural network (e.g., LSTM) is a plus. Experiences with generative adversarial networks and/or reinforcement learning a plus.
4) Hands on experiences in established platforms; Tensorflow experience is a plus.
5) Hands on experiences in applying deep learning to analyze sensing data in the form of images, videos.
6) Willing to lead research; willing learn and teach.
Applies developed subject matter knowledge to solve common and complex business issues within established guidelines and recommends appropriate alternatives. Works on problems of diverse complexity and scope. May act as a team or project leader providing direction to team activities and facilitates information validation and team decision making process. Exercises independent judgment within generally defined policies and practices to identify and select a solution. Ability to handle most unique situations. May seek advice in order to make decisions on complex business issues.
1) Participates as a member of team of other research engineers carrying out the investigation, design, development, execution, and implementation of scientific research projects to generate new products, technologies, and intellectual property.
2) Creates portions of research plans, investigative procedures, and collection and analysis guidelines for assigned investigation; collaborates with internal and external partners to perform experiments and validations in accordance with overall research plan.
3) Develops and carries out portions of protocols and processes for collecting, recording, and analyzing data; communicates results and conclusions to team members for review and feedback.
4) Prepares literature and presentations for peer review, publication, and delivery at industry and scientific events and conferences; creates patent applications and supporting documentation.
Education and Experience Required:
1) Bachelor's, Master's or PHD degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent.
2) Typically 4-6 years experience, including graduate or postgraduate research.
Knowledge and Skills:
1) Using scientific design and data collection methodologies, tools and analysis packages to collect, validate, and analyze research data.
2) Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
3) Application and implementation of experimental design, scientific procedures and processes, and data analysis.
4) Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language.
5) Ability to effectively communicate research plans, proposals, and results, and negotiate options at management levels.