NBME offers a versatile selection of high-quality assessments and educational services for students, professionals, educators, and institutions dedicated to the evolving needs of medical education and health care. To serve these communities, we collaborate with a comprehensive array of professionals including test developers, academic researchers, scoring experts, practicing physicians, medical educators, state medical board members, and public representatives.
Together with the Federation of State Medical Boards, NBME develops and manages the United States Medical Licensing Examination. In addition, we are committed to meeting the needs of educators and learners globally with assessment products and expert services such as Subject Examinations, Customized Assessment Services, Self-Assessments, the International Foundations of Medicine , and Item-Writing Workshops.
We also provide medical education funding and mentorship through the Latin America Grants, Stemmler Fund, and Strategic Educators Enhancement Fund, which serve to advance assessment at educators' and health professionals' own institutions. Learn more about NBME at NBME.org
Excellent Benefits to include Healthcare, Dental, Prescription, and Vision plans; 401(k) w/match; Retirement Income Plan, Tuition Reimbursement Plan, Commuter Benefit: Commuter or Parking Options and more.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
At NBME, we continue to innovate and improve how we fulfill the evolving needs of the health care community. This commitment starts and ends with the people at NBME. By recruiting and empowering talented individuals from various disciplines and backgrounds, which includes professionals with diverse life experiences, abilities, and perspectives, NBME can take a well-informed, robust approach to advancing medical education and assessment for years to come.
The Manager of Data Engineering and Business Intelligence is responsible for a team comprised of a scrum master, software quality engineers, and software engineers that enable the delivery of data throughout the organization and manages a portfolio of data stores and analytics applications. Their team delivers high quality data to enable data driven decision making across all NBME divisions, and ultimately for our external customers.
The manager is a key contributor to the strategy and vision for data and analytics, supporting technical product owners to build and maintain the data and analytics implementation roadmap.
The manager will own an application portfolio which currently includes Informatica PowerCenter (Data Integration/ETL) and MicroStrategy (BI). They will also be the service owner of Master Data Management for Customer data (examinees, institutions, and institutional contacts) and Assessment Products. These are other tools enable creation and management of dashboards and reports, provisioned datasets, operational data stores and data warehouses. These technologies also enable solutions for staff to analyze data, transform data and potentially monetize data products to meet the needs of NBME staff and their external customers.
The manager will track the current level of usage of the tools and data services provided by their team and identify and implement solutions to increase usage and value delivered to the business.
BI and Data Warehouse Leadership
- In alignment with leadership from other divisions, contributes to the NBME data strategy to implement, document, and communicate the strategy to classify, store, provision, improve, visualize, and govern NBME data.
- Leads the technology implementation needed to enable the data strategy.
- Oversees the design and development of a portfolio of data warehouses, data stores, ETL mappings and workflows and applications delivering analytics/business intelligence services through the entire development lifecycle from initial exploration, development, and testing to ongoing support through final retirement.
- Sponsors initiatives to ensure the IT data technology components remain current and supported.
- Partners with managers in other units to establish data delivery and BI standards.
Staff & Vendor Management
- Directly hires, retains, manages, and develops engineers, scrum masters, and other roles within their unit.
- Identifies and fulfills opportunities for professional development that align with staff development plans and organizational priorities.
- Ensures their team adheres to standards and best practices for Enterprise Architecture, architecture patterns, NBME IT Standard Operating Procedures, Agile framework, Master Data Management (MDM), DevOps and DataOps, data security, data governance and infrastructure.
- Encourages individual staff and team process improvements that will increase the productivity and quality of software and data released by the teams.
- Educates support teams and developers in technical and architectural areas as required.
- Measures team results, sets metrics and attainable goals.
- Provides necessary information to enable resolution of priority conflicts for the team's time.
- Manages vendor relationships and evaluates vendor performance.
- Seeks to understand business problems and proposes pragmatic solutions.
- Seeks opportunities to innovate by introducing new solutions through staying up to date on state of technology landscape in collaboration with Enterprise Architecture and business stakeholders.
- Works with Enterprise Architecture group to create a high-level enterprise data architecture to support a portfolio of BI solutions.
Development Execution Monitoring, Application and Data Support.
- Directs application and data development and support activities.
- Identifies risks that may impact data quality, data security and deliverables; develops and implements mitigation and corrective actions (DataOps).
- Establishes effective support processes to ensure timely response to production incidents. Contributes to root cause analysis.
- Clearly communicates to their manager and other Directors and VPs the risks, successes, and missteps as their team executes implementation.
- Implementation of Data Strategy including DW & BI strategy
- Develop and manage unit budgets.
- Documentation (architecture, runbooks, design, data glossary, best practices, SOPs, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with Staff performance management and training.
- Identification, monitoring and reporting of key performance indicators.
DW and BI solutions
- Their team is accountable for creating training documenting and delivering training to users on how to use BI tools to develop queries, reports, and dashboards/visualizations.
- DW & BI Backlog prioritization in alignment and collaboration with Technical Product Owners
- Mastered person, institution, and assessment product data (source systems and data warehouses.)
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Experience with one or more enterprise BI platforms such as MicroStrategy, Qlik and Tableau, etc. knowledge of BI interface customization and 10 or more years of experience in a data engineering role as an individual contributor demonstrating progressively increasing responsibility.
- 1 to 3 years of direct supervisory experience with strong preference of 2- 3years managing a team 4-5 direct reports.
- Able to effectively lead an organizational change that impacts business and IT staff.
- Experience with design and development of data delivery, data warehouse related technology, ETL, business intelligence solutions, dataset provision, data security and self-service data analysis.
- Experience with data modeling (relational and dimensional), data and application integration technologies such as Informatica or iPaaS.
- Experienced in development and management of department budgets.
- Data entitlements is a plus.
- Experience with Oracle database, SQL and understanding of, or experience with, modern and emerging database technologies (such as serverless database, data lake, NoSQL, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience working in an Agile environment with agile tools, such as Jira.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or another relevant field.
- Agile Certifications: nice to have