Innovation. Sophistication. Optimization. This is our passion.
Worldwide, the Volkswagen Group has a long tradition of dramatic innovations. The Volkswagen Group with its headquarters in Wolfsburg is one of the world's leading automobile manufacturers and the largest car maker in Europe. The Group comprises of twelve brands from seven European countries: Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, KODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania and MAN.
Here in the US, we are blending German engineering with American ingenuity. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, the Volkswagen Innovation and Engineering Center California (IECC) is becoming the epicenter of vehicle electronics expertise in North America. Comprised of twelve teams, the IECC works with researchers and development teams in the US, Germany and across the globe. We're a team of engineers, designers, scientists, and psychologists looking to develop innovations for future generations of cars, and to transfer technologies from many industries and research institutions into the automotive domain. Our mission is to drive change which means we are not only impacting one of the world's largest car makers, but also the lives of millions of people. Are you ready to join us? Manager, Product Validation
This is managerial level position leading the Product Validation team at the Volkswagen Group of America Engineering Center California (ECC) in Belmont, CA. Key responsibilities of this position include leading a team of product validation engineers and managing resources required for Product Validation in the field of Connected Infotainment, Connected Car Services and Advanced Driver Assistance.
In this role it is essential to closely cooperate with other entities of VWGoA, VW AG, Audi AG, VW de Mexico to ensure high efficiency of the validation activities at ECC.
Role Responsibilities Strategy & Direction
- Define and update overall mission and strategy for the Product Validation team
- Align individual/project goals with Validation goals and ECC mission
- Oversee planning and execution of test drives
- Take ownership of ECC performance metrics specific to Validation
- Serve as liaison between NAR quality and EG departments to increase efficiency across the corporate organization.
- Develop supplier network with US based product validation companies to manage short term validation needs.
- Lead and manage a team of 5+ product validation engineers at the ECC
- Strategically organize personnel around core competencies
- Facilitate networking opportunities for team members
- Ensure integrity and a positive team spirit (lead by example)
- Mentor team members for job training and career advancement
- Communicate policy and process to team members
- Write evaluations and statements for internal/external advancement of team members
- Guide the Performance Management Plans and Professional Developments Plans of employees
- Strategic resource planning for product validation project portfolio
- Alignment of ECC validation strategy with other engineering entities in the NAR
- Manage internal/external budget and resources for Validation in close alignment with ECC Program Management
- Manage prototypes according to VW Group policies
- Cross-organizational management of ECC assets and resources related to product validation
- In-depth experience Validation-Engineering, Validation-Analysis and Test-Drives
- Experience with testing, validation and certification of Infotainment / Connectivity devices or functions
- In depth Team leading experience
- Project planning, coordination and strong management experience
- Excellent written, communication and presentation skills
- Self-motivated, flexible individual with high degree of ownership and accountability for results
- Work cross-functionally to ensure necessary project support and prioritization.
- Ability to understand and extract action plans from complex technical discussions and translate into succinct messaging for cross-functional and executive status reporting.
- Influencing and negotiation skills for automotive management / leadership
- Ability to think in wider scope for product realization, success factors and active change management
- Strong process orientation
- Analytical and conceptual thinking - using logic and reason, creative and strategic.
Years of Experience
- 10+ years overall industry experience
- Bachelor of Science. Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field. Master's preferred.
- Strong Experience in project management and leading teams (project work)
- Proven success in a role focusing on identifying and solving strategic and development process issues
- Significant experience with R&D projects in automotive
- Demonstrated success in developing strong working relationships across many layers of an organization and across cultural boundaries
- Must have experience in calculating development costs, planning phase and business perspective
- Must have architectural knowledge of automotive systems like connected infotainment and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS)
- Experience with test methods and test execution in the fields of connected vehicle services, infotainment and advanced driver assistance systems
- Experience leading multidisciplinary teams for automotive product requirement gathering, project management, and technical concept generation
- Understands the value of communications to a complex, global organization and consistently finds ways to maximize effectiveness of validation activities at ECC
- Experience with Agile or similar methodologies
- Strong initiative and excellent team and conflict resolutions skills
- Proficient in project management tools such as Jira, Confluence, or similar.
- History of working with VW Group R&D teams and suppliers
- Series development of infotainment systems, electrical feature and online functions
- Experience in turning early research (pre-development) ideas into real product
- Basic German language skills
- Flexibility to participate in early morning / late evening phone conferences with German customers
- Short term, short notice availability for travel within the US and to Europe
Volkswagen Group of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds, and do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, color, gender identity/expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.