The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. Job Summary
Physical Sciences Laboratories (PSL) has more than 100 specialized laboratories used to test, analyze, and troubleshoot virtually every aspect of rocket and satellite system design, development, construction, deployment, and operation. The diverse expertise of the laboratories' technical staff allows PSL to stay abreast of new technological developments and program support issues associated with rapidly evolving space systems.
The Photonics Technology Department is seeking an individual to manage a section focusing on research in free space laser communications and quantum technologies. This individual will also be responsible for leading and contributing to research projects within the section's technical portfolio. The ideal candidate will be able to manage a team of research staff, contribute to the administering of the section with the department director, work with customers to develop projects from proposals, manage overall research directions, and contribute meaningfully and directly to research activities. This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA.What You'll Be Doing
What You Need to be Successful
- Manage a team of research staff of 5-10 working multiple projects
- Execute and/or lead advanced experiments on laser communications and quantum technologies to support multiple customers in various application areas
- Work with management on creating and executing to projects' budgets and schedules and planning for future efforts.
- Work with customers to identify new opportunities, develop proposals to execute on such opportunities.
How You Can Stand Out
- Master's degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Typically (8) years of experience in a research laboratory environment in laser communications and quantum technologies, lasers, sensors, non-linear optics, or related areas.
- You should have strong people management skills, which include training, motivating, and directing employees to optimize workplace productivity and promote professional growth
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Ph.D degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Subject matter expertise in the laser communications and quantum technologies, lasers, sensors, atomic physics, quantum sensing, non-linear optics, etc. is desirable
- Relevant experience or education in laboratory experimentation, developing test strategies, experiment design, and integration and test
- Experience with LabView, Python, MATLAB, Mathematica, R, Visual Basic, C, C++, etc. is desirable
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement