Manager of Public Safety Radio Systems
Salary: up to $145,000 Commensurate with Experience
- Overall management of the Channel 16 UHF Citywide Radio Network including all system resources and data; manage all fiscal, operational and administrative tasks;
- Oversee unit engineering and FCC licensing support staff;
- Oversee the continued evaluation of radio frequency (RF) designs of a multi-agency, citywide RF network; serve as liaison to City agencies which include FDNY, DOT, Corrections, Parks and Sanitation;
- Work with the selected vendors to implement, provide quality assurance and participate in regular service level performance management of the system;
- Oversee and troubleshooting and preventative maintenance of the radio network; oversee a Microsoft Windows NT based centralized database management of system resources;
- Manage the secure partitioning of system data to multiple clients;
- Provide engineering and research on wireless broadband technologies including; 802.11 data standards and equipment, 802.16e point to multipoint standards and 802.20 wireless mobility standards;
- Provide engineering and research on OFDM, TDD and FDD wireless broadband transmission protocols and standards;
- Participation in the FCC region 8 planning committee and NYC Interagency Communications Committee on behalf of NYC/DoITT; handle FCC licensing regarding broadband spectrum issues;
- Provide microwave backhaul data and routing requirements; research various voice over IP, data and video compression technologies;
- Manage special projects and initiatives as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electronics-Electrical Engineering and 8+ years of relevant experience;
- A background in the latest radio frequency design technology (Simulcast Systems, coverage and evaluation methods, coverage modeling for narrow and broadband wireless networks), fundamental of digital radio and microwave technologies, traffic simulation for voice and data wireless networks, and implementation and maintenance;
- Well versed in Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations;
- Experience with maintaining and developing Microsoft 2000 network operating systems, radio propagation software tools, Excel spreadsheets, Access and Project 98 planning software;
- Demonstrated experience working with technical and non-technical staff; exceptional knowledge of Microsoft Office programs; outstanding collaboration and team building skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent analytic, organization, presentation and facilitation skills;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines; and the ability to interface with executive level management and give senior level presentations;
- FCC Commercial Licenses: -GROL (General Radio Operator License) w/ Radar Endorsement (Radio system maritime global/satellite FCC license) -GMDSS Operator -GMDSS Maintainer Cisco: CCNP,CCDA, CCNA.
1.BA/BS including 24 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or related field and 4 years of related work experience where 18 months must have been in an executive, managerial, or administrative capacity.
2. An Associate’s degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 12 credits in the field and 5 years’ work experience as described in "1" above;
3. Education and/or experience equivalent.
NYC Residency is required within 90 days of appointment
Click on the "Apply Now" button
Apply Online: Go to www.nyc.gov/jobs/search and search for Job ID #456252
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERSIGHT APPROVALS
Visit us at www.nyc.gov/DoITT
The Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications and the City of New York are equal opportunity employers.
DoITT participates in E-Verify