As USAC continues to support universal service impacting health care providers, educators, and consumers, it is critical now more than ever that we hire people equally passionate and committed to helping fulfill our mission. We are currently seeking an experienced, dynamic and collaborative professional to serve as a Manager of Software Development within our Information Technology team. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Software Development you will:
- Support critical business functions by leading the architecture, design, development, integration, implementation and maintenance of application systems.
This is an outstanding career opportunity for an individual interested in a genuine professional challenge in support of a public-spirited mission. Responsibilities
Working in a creative and fast-paced environment, the Manager of Software Development will lead software development on multiple projects and ensure that specifications are met. Among others, your responsibilities will include the following:
- Architect, design, code, test, debug, maintain, and document software applications.
- Conduct design and code peer reviews.
- Maintain a high level proficiency with a wide range of technologies.
- Research, evaluate, recommend and implement technical solutions, tools, COTS and open-source products.
- Establish and improve software development standards, procedures, and recommend application development best practices.
- Write technical design, architecture, assessment and other documents as required.
- Lead application integration efforts.
- Represent the IT department in terms of software development expertise in coordination with other departments.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to a small team.
- Lead, mentor, and develop staff members.
- Other specific duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will excel at operating in a diverse and fluid environment, and will be crucial for the success of the Information T Division.
- You have Bachelor Degree and/or relevant technical training and certifications.
- You have 3 to 4 years of experience as a team lead or demonstrated leadership experience.
- You have direct a team of staff members and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization and the day-to-day operations.
- You are responsible for assisting with hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, professional development and accountable for the performance of employees.
- You have 5 to 7 years of directly related experience.
- You have 3 to 4 years of management or internal operational/technical leadership experience.
- You have 5 + years of experience in application development, software engineering, design patterns, web application development, technical documentation, object oriented design/architecture, and application security concepts.
- You have 5 + years of experience with web services, Spring Framework, Oracle, Postgres, and RDBMS concepts.
- You have expert knowledge of networking and systems engineering concepts.
- You have strong understanding of software project management concepts.
- You have experience with scripting languages, Scrum framework, SDLC, and PL/SQL.
- You have exposure to concepts of enterprise architecture.
Through its administration of the $10 billion Universal Service Fund (USF) programs on behalf of the FCC, USAC works to promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable and affordable rates and to increase access to advanced telecommunications services throughout the nation. Specifically, the USF programs provide funding for the expansion of telecommunications and broadband access to rural communities and health care facilities, schools and libraries across the country, and low income households. Through program administration, auditing, and outreach, USAC works with contributors, service providers, and program beneficiaries to achieve the program goals articulated by the FCC for each of these programs.
The FCC has reformed the USF to support further investment in and access to evolving broadband infrastructure, making the programs a primary vehicle to support this critical national priority. USAC, as the administrator of the USF, plays a critical role in supporting the ambitious vision to ensure that all citizens in the United States have access to high-speed broadband. The organization has approximately 500 employees with an operating budget of more than $200 million. USAC works in close partnership with the FCC and other federal and state partners to support the achievement of the USF program goals.
USAC administers the USF programs-High Cost, Lifeline, Rural Health Care, and Schools and Libraries. USAC strives to provide efficient, responsible stewardship of the programs, a key national asset in making important telecommunications and Internet services available to consumers, health care providers, schools, and libraries throughout the United States. The program divisions are supported by additional USAC personnel in Finance, General Counsel, Information Systems, Internal Audit, the Enterprise Program Management Office and Human Resources. Consistent with FCC rules, USAC does not make policy for or interpret unclear provisions of statutes or the FCC's rules.
Universal service is paid for by contributions from telecommunications carriers, including wireline and wireless companies, and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol providers, including cable companies that provide voice service, based on an assessment of their interstate and international end- user revenues. These contributions are most typically passed through to consumers through a universal service fee line item on their telephone bills.
Additional information on USF programs can be found at: http://www.usac.org/about/about/who-we-are/default.aspx
USAC offers a comprehensive benefits package, ongoing professional development opportunities, including vacation and sick leave.
USAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only principals will be accepted. No agencies please.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, click the "Apply For This Job Online" button.
USAC employees are passionate about our mission. Our work contributes to the success of all Americans. We've worked together to build a culture that is collaborative, ambitious, outcome-oriented, and feedback-focused.