Power the economic growth and competitiveness of New York State by providing customers with low-cost, reliable power and the innovative energy infrastructure and services they value.
The role of the Meter Engineer II is to provide engineering review, validation and troubleshooting to support the daily meter data submission to the NYISO by NYPA as Meter Authority, which is the input to the NYISO settlement process.
* Provide engineering review, validation and troubleshooting of meter data submitted by NYPA as a Meter Authority. Provide engineering review of collected revenue metering data, operational data in order to provide the best available data for settlements. Coordinate prior system outages, maintenance testing and equipment failures to upload most accurate available data.
* Perform review and evaluations of operational and revenue meter system performance and to ensure proper operation and profiling of generation, transmission and customer load data. Identify variances and trouble shoot with other support staff to resolve issues.
* Interface with other NYPA departments and external entities such as NYISO to support settlement activities of NYPA generation, zonal load determinations, and customer loads.
* Develop and maintain meter block diagrams used to document revenue and operational metering systems, and signal paths/interfaces to MV90, load management systems and real time systems such as SCADA. Utilize documentation to troubleshoot meter data or communication problems.
* Develop recommendations and implement improvements in MV90 meter data collection system, including analysis tools, automatic comparison, totalization and new expanded features to maximize efficiency with the highest data quality and accuracy.
* Provide office and field engineering support and oversight during installation of new meter systems, meter testing and troubleshooting.
* Ensure deadlines are met as assigned by supervisors.
* Assist the supervisor in the coordination of work with other disciplines and departments for the successful development and execution of meter upgrade projects.
* Perform inspections and evaluations on vendor products to ensure engineering requirements and Authority needs are satisfied.
* Gather information (site, vendors and other engineers) for engineering tasks including replacement of meter systems and associated communications schemes.
* Responsible for the design for meter installations, both new and retrofit, including design drawing packages, meter programs/ setting files, communication setup, and meter test sheets.
* Prepares specifications of revenue metering instrument transformers (HV and EHV), reviews acceptance test data and witnesses field testing of equipment for commissioning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of commercial and industrial facilities and their various electrical systems and components are required.
* Strong experience with the application of advanced metering systems, smart meters and communications systems, and NYPA operational systems.
* Ability to apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices, coupled with the understanding of the NYPA s policies, operations, and objectives, to solve all but the most complex engineering problems, and make technical recommendations on design methods and obstacles on a project as well as programmatic level.
* Knowledge of and a working familiarity with current codes, standards, and regulations.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* High computer literacy.
* Demonstrated performance on multi-discipline team projects.
* Ability to produce clear, concise, complete and articulate reports which explain recommendations.
* Ability to develop complete, accurate and detailed modification packages, specifications, drawings and other engineered construction documents.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Strong presentation skills.
Education, Experience and Certifications
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent, from an accredited college or university
* Minimum of 8 years of work related experience.
* Qualifications to sit for Part I and/or Part II of the PE exam preferred.
* Experience with NYPA policies and business practices preferred.
* Strong hands on experience with advanced metering systems, smart meters and communications systems, and operational systems.
* Approximately 25% travel, primarily within NY State
* Willingness to enter confined spaces and climb/scale power system apparatuses is required.
* Ability to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and work at high elevations.
Hiring Manager: Im Pan Wong
Department: Operations Support Services
Grade Level: 08X
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer