This position is located at our Fort Worth, Texas corporate office and has the potential to be a hybrid position with up to 50% remote work.
At BNSF, Safety is a core value of how we do business. Each and every day, our employees are committed to approach one another about safety, which is key in realizing our vision. Employees are also expected to comply with company and federal safety & health regulations, safety rules & policies, as well as procedures that guide work practices to reduce risk to exposure. Such work practices include but are not limited to wearing required safety equipment, responding to safety concerns, and taking appropriate actions in the event of an emergency.
Duties & Responsibilities (Supervisor Network Control Systems):
- Design, develop, implement, document, and support various internally developed machine learning models to support Positive Train Control (PTC) analytics
- Use technology systems/applications development experience to analyze requirements, evaluate design alternatives, and develop software solutions that meet business objectives
- Must have a clear understanding and implementation of different machine learning algorithms such as logistic regression, decision trees, SVM, Naïve Bayes, KNN, neural networks, gradient descent, Random forest, etc.
- Experience working with structured and unstructured data.
- SQL experience is a must.
- Provide insight to building new machine learning models supporting Baloo by identifying correlations and working with the development team to validate new algorithms.
- Validate existing Baloo analysis algorithms.
- Assist in identifying key logging changes when new software is deployed.
- Excellent pattern recognition and predictive modeling skills.
- Ability to understand business requirements, collaborate with team, provide ideas, and clearly present new findings/ solutions.
- Strong understanding of basic statistics, linear algebra and calculus.
- Programming background and exposure to python is required.
- Able to build analytics solution from scratch. Includes data exploration, extraction, cleaning, transformation, modeling, testing and implementation.
- Expertise in building machine learning algorithms using at least one of the following languages: Python, R and Scala
- Directly responsible for all phases of development and testing of designed solutions
- Generation of accurate timeline estimates, open communication regarding development status, and issues, and ensuring best practices are followed in implementing technical solutions
Duties & Responsibilities (Mgr I Network Control Systems):
Design, develop, implement, document, and support various software based train control systems. These include:
- Baloo Online Automation
- Industry Documents Web based App
- Mechanical Maintenance Dashboard
- Splunk Cloud Developmental Support
- Hy-Rail Limits Compliance Systems (HLCS)
- Positive Train Control (PTC)
- Train Management Dispatch System (TMDS)
- The supporting Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Use C# to develop .NET Framework and .Net Core based highly available Windows Services, IIS web solutions, and desktop client applications
- Collaborating with PTC system vendors to understand Interface Control Documentation (ICD), product driver information and concepts of operations in order to ensure proper system integration considerations have been properly adhered to.
- Representing BNSF in the various industry level collaboration groups associated with developing the requirements for Interoperable PTC to ensure BNSF’s interests are protected.
- Ensuring Train Control Systems function appropriately and are technically sound and secure.
- Developing continuous improvement processes to assist with controlling costs, and improving efficiency to meet operating goals.
- Assisting in the planning and execution of processes and procedures that increase system reliability and availability; participating in disaster recovery procedures.
- Assisting in the planning, coordination, and authorization of updates, outages, maintenance windows, and any other activities that could impact the availability of the Train Control Systems.
- Assisting in root cause analysis of PTC system hardware, software, operating and messaging systems.
- Ensuring compliance with BNSF's policies, safety and operating rules, schedule agreements, and government regulations.
- Collaborating and providing input on best practices for software development and technology and methodology.
- Participating and influencing the development and execution of multiple project plans and determine resource allocation for Train Control and Operations Technology systems.
- Developing estimates, identifying tasks, and sequencing pertaining to complex technical activities relating to managing projects for Train Control Systems.
- Maintaining, monitoring, analyzing, and tuning system performance.
- Suggesting opportunities for improvement in practices for software development processes, technology, and methodology.
- Maintaining documentation for continuous improvement.
- Communicating, presenting, and recommending solutions in a timely manner.
- Supporting management and team members in order to meet goals of the projects.
- Leveraging external resources to solve problems.
- Communicating openly and effectively regarding development tasks, schedules, status, and designs to ensure dissemination of technical solutions.
For internally developed Train Control Systems, partner with a wide array of stakeholders including other teams with in BNSF Network Control Systems, Technology Services, Telecom, Signal, and Engineering teams to:
- Lead and guide 1-4 member development team
- Analyze requirements for complex technical projects to propose solutions
- Assist in the design of solutions
- Help develop business cases
- Design product specifications
- Help understand user acceptance criteria
- Contribute to the creation of accurate project estimates and timelines
- Provide timely and accurate updates on team progress
- Communicate changes to project plans
- Develop implementation plans
- Ensure customer satisfaction
- Assist in research of complex technical issues
- Analyze new technology and recommend adoptions to address complex issues
- Openly express ideas and share technical and/or business knowledge