FEI is a leading IT company specializing in Federal and Local Government data system solutions. For the past decade we have maintained a leading position in providing programming and consulting services in our primary areas of expertise- Behavioral Health Data Systems, and Clinical Trials Software Solutions for institutional systems of care.
At FEI Systems, we recognize that our employees are an important part of our success. We promote a team environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve professional and personal success. Currently FEI is looking for highly skilled, self-motivated and creative individuals to join our talented team of experts. FEI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in growing and promoting a diverse work force. Our employee compensation and benefits package is competitive within the industry and is designed to help employees meet varying needs throughout their careers and lives. If you're looking for a rewarding work environment that will challenge your mind and expand your horizons, then joining the FEI team may be right for you.
* Ensure servers are current with SQL Server patches and security updates.
* Analyze and evaluate the security procedures required for specific
mission-critical business systems as defined by customer security standards.
* Perform all database security checks and manage all database securities.
* Create and implement plans for system security using a variety of technologies
to provide data security and auditing functions for customer s mission critical systems.
* Maintain security and integrity of data access policies, standards, and methods
by establishing database recovery plans to minimize data losses and system downtime. Develop backup routines for both the database management system software and the stored data.
* Develop standardized application security procedures for customer applications
* Create, maintain, and monitor Always On Availability Groups (AAG) for High Availability.
* Maintain SQL Server test environment where upgrades and security patches can
* Perform integration testing, create and restore server imaging, develop and
implement plans to roll over customer s enterprise wide systems from testing
* Install and upgrade SQL Server and other related software on customer s
specified hardware to provide functional capabilities for critical systems.
* Create software and database maintenance plans for efficient upgrades and
maintenance. Implement the plan and update this regularly.
* Provide hardware and software specifications for various systems.
* Coordinate database management system interfaces with other data processing units.
* Review and approve or reject database designs for new systems.
* Configure backup jobs to run on specified schedules.
* Restore data files or tables from a previous backup session.
* Develop and maintain scripts and perform and monitor backups for mission critical
* Work with vendors, developers, users, project managers and back up operators to
troubleshoot database connectivity and back up issues.
* Prepare and implement disaster recovery plans for various SQL Server based software
* Create and properly plan upgrade and migration schedules to minimize impact on
production and mission critical systems.
* Research, lab test, document and make recommendations to the Manager on new
database technologies that could be implemented. Provide recommendations about the
migration and upgrade paths for various systems.
* Coordinate the installation and implementation of database management system
software and related software tools with vendors, data processing staff and system
* Develop and implement new database management policies, procedures and standards.
* Collect data dictionary information on existing Microsoft Access 2003 databases.
* Consolidate data from multiple sources (including standalone Microsoft Access
databases) onto a centralized Microsoft SQL Server.
* Develop and create new database solutions based on business unit requirements.
* Conduct random health checks on the databases and prepare performance reports.
* Assist System Administrators on database issues/errors and assist users and
programmers with SQL queries and tuning.
* Perform routine maintenance tasks for proactive monitoring on the database servers
such as deleting log files and dump files or correcting errors.
* Create repeatable processes to upgrade, test, and maintain databases and software
systems. Monitor the systems to provide a minimum level of performance as part of
Quality Assurance (QA).
* Monitor database performance and make modifications and adjustments to database
architecture, storage methods and management system software to fine-tune the
database for optimum response time.
* Prepare statistical and narrative reports of database management performance, activities
and special projects.
* Troubleshoot problems related to availability of data to system users, space, database
software, data flow, and data storage and data access.
* Migrate existing shared Microsoft Access data to Microsoft SQL Server and update
existing Microsoft Access Databases to link to new data source.
* Create, modify, and troubleshoot reports in Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer
Science, Information Systems, Engineering, Business, or other related scientific or
technical discipline or three (3) years of equivalent experience in a related field.
* At least five (5) years of experience with Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration
* At least five (5) years of experience with Microsoft SQL programming including
troubleshooting and investigating complex database issues
* At least one (1) year of experience with Microsoft SQL Server High Availability
*** This is a contingent position pending contract award
Location: Baltimore MD
NOTICE: EO/AA/VEVRAA/Disabled Employer - Federal Contractor. FEI Systems participates in E-Verify, a federal program that enables employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States by providing the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For more information on E-Verify, please contact DHS at (888) 464-4218.
Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, disability, or genetic information, except where it relates to a bona fide occupational qualification or requirement. FEI Systems creates an Affirmative Action Plan on an annual basis. Pursuant to federal law, the portions of FEI Systems' Affirmative Action Program that relate to Section 503 (Persons with Disabilities) and/or Section 4212 (Protected Veterans), are available for inspection upon request by applicants and employees during FEI Systems' normal business hours.