Verisign operates the largest domain name registry in the world, managing millions of digital identities in over 350 languages. As the authoritative directory provider for all .com, .net, .cc, and .tv domain names, Verisign processes billions of interactions each day using our proprietary global infrastructure. For more than 19 years, our Internet infrastructure has provided 100 percent service availability for the resolution of .com and .net traffic. Verisign is also one of the twelve operators of the DNS Root servers. Verisign's plan to install and operate additional sites in key locations around the world is critical to supporting new trends in Internet growth as traffic continues to expand globally.
This position is part of a team of systems administrators who are responsible for the 24x7 support of mission-critical services supporting our Global Constellation, which handles, on average, over 140 Billion transactions a day. We prize engineering professionals who are equipped with great technical skills and attitudes that motivate those around them. Our data centers are located all around the world, so travel may be required as part of this position. Team members are sometimes called upon to work at locations both within and outside the United States and should be able to travel freely.
The candidate for this position will need to:
· Acquire thorough understanding of Verisign's DNS resolution services, applications, and operational environments.
· Install, maintain, and configure production, staging, quality assurance, and development environments to support Verisign's name resolution services. Environments include servers, operating systems, applications software, and automation tools.
· Coordinate with other technical staff to implement systems and software.
· Perform daily operations support functions, including problem isolation and resolution.
· Document processes, procedures, configurations, and deployment plans.
· Provide critical technical leadership in the areas of operational process and change management.
· Interface with engineering and customer service organizations.
· Regularly report progress to management.
· Participate in an on-call rotation.
· E ligible to travel with a valid passport.
Our ideal candidate will have a unique blend of impeccable technical skills, a desire to lead projects within a team environment and the ability to multi-task and work independently within a dynamic operational environment. We need effective communicators who can work within a matrix environment and represent Verisign effectively to customers and other external resources. A high level of technical credibility is essential for success. Some desired attributes include:
· At least 4+ years of experience administering mission-critical computing environments of 200+ nodes.
· Strong experience with Linux. FreeBSD knowledge is also helpful.
· Experience with automated build systems and tools.
· Experience with Python, Perl, and shell scripting required.
· Experience with version control systems, particularly Git or Subversion.
· Experience with configuration management tools like Puppet or Ansible is desired.
· Experience with Jenkins, Cobbler, and system kickstarts is desired.
· Experience with TCP/IP networking, including Ethernet, IP addressing & subnetting, routing, and network troubleshooting.
· Comfortable working directly with developers and other engineering teams.
· An understanding of DNS and BIND is desired.
**Eligible to travel with a valid passport.