SAIC is seeking a Jr. Network Engineer / Administrator to join our program as a general technologist to support our NOAA GFDL program in Princeton, NJ serving the NOAA GFDL lab in a highly scientific user and mission driven facility .
- This individual would support both projects (60%) and user (40%) actives in a high interrupt tiered support environment requiring rapid response to the most complex customer systems inquiries.
- This position will be responsible for maintaining and administering computer networks across the campus. The primary duties will include: configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance of WAN and wired/wireless LAN networks.
- Additional duties include supporting hardware, software, other related systems, performing disaster recovery operations, protecting data, software, and hardware from attacks, and replacing faulty network hardware components as needed.
- This position will be working closely with the users of our network, as well as other system administrators in order to fix existing problems as well as identify and correcting potential issues.
- To be successful in this role, the right candidate will need to have a strong understanding of network infrastructure, network topology, and network hardware. You will also need to be able to own, implement, administer, and troubleshoot network services and devices including firewalls, routers, switches, WAP's, VPN, and VOIP. A deep knowledge and understanding of application transport and network infrastructure protocols is highly desired.
The environment consists of a Core Windows Infrastructure running on mostly Dell Hardware, with 200+ Linux workstations, 50+ Windows Workstations, and 20+ Mac Workstations. The core network consists of 90% Cisco and 10% Juniper equipment. On a daily basis this individual may divide their time between (1) Configuring, troubleshooting, and managing network devices; (2) identifying, evaluating and prioritizing customer problems to ensure that inquiries are resolved appropriately; (3) conducting project work on several complex system projects simultaneously; and (4) managing and actively reporting on project status; (5) working with the team to help further upgrade the environment for optimal performance.
The duties will include, but not limited to:
- Providing Mid-Tier to Top-Tier Network and System Administration for client and server systems in heterogeneous environment, where the Core Network Infrastructure is running on 90% Cisco and 10% Juniper equipment, supporting a Windows based core server infrastructure;
- System Administration - Maintain Network Security posture according to organization requirements, manage rigorous patching and updates for all system software and firmware, manage existing patching deployment tools, maintain and enhance current tools;
- Maintain, monitor, support, and upgrade the network infrastructure environment as needed, including the Core Network Infrastructure, and assist in enterprise base work initiatives and projects;
- Support multiple networks of medium to high complexity with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility;
- Work with project managers to coordinate and plan project tasks and resources;
- Integration solutions with other applications and platforms based on requirements;
- Coordinate changes across multiple systems;
- Working with engineers on the requirements and provides recommendations for improvements;
- Develop plans to adopt new technology;
- Writing/updating/enhancing system documentation concerning problem resolutions and network assets;
- Writing technical justifications for the procurement of hardware & software;
- Reviewing system inventory/warranty, plan upgrades for client and server systems;
- Must have 2+ years of experience and a BS in STEM;
- Experience managing and maintaining scalable networks including building and deploying, implementation, troubleshooting and upgrading Cisco and/or Juniper switches, routers, wireless controllers and access points
- Experience with routing protocols, automation, hardware and software deployments, and configuration management solutions for multiple environments on routers and switches;
- Experience with configuration and support of access methods e.g. VPN, SSH tunneling;
- Keeping up-to-date with current hardware/software events/releases;
- Administration and troubleshooting experience with Windows and/or Linux servers / infrastructure (will be a backup resource)
- Those authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship are encouraged to apply.ship required with the ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
- Experience with medium to large network core infrastructure;
- Experience with scripting (BASH or Powershell)
- Experience patching workstations;
- Multi-Tiered Public Key Infrastructure knowledge;
- Automation and Load Balancing Experience;
My SAIC Benefits.