What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering and computer security. The SEI works closely with academia, defense and government organizations, and industry to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software that is defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Within the SEI, the Model Based Engineering initiative is developing theories and practices for use in the development of large-scale, complex, safety-critical systems. The candidate will join the Model Based Engineering initiative and will assist in implementing and extending the established research program in by creating and extending an existing body of work, validating concepts through prototyping and engineering demonstrations in industry and government settings, and accelerating the transition of proven methods to practice. Position Summary:
This position will be responsible for:
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements: Education/Training
- Contributing to ongoing MBE research efforts, building new research directions, and validating ideas in customer settings;
- Defining and developing research strategies and projects, participating in and leading research teams (e.g., customer efforts or transition project teams, and/or conducting planned research projects);Communicating the results of his/her research, through publication presentations in peer-reviewed venues;
- Working with collaborators and customers to apply research outcomes to real world systems;
- Determining and recommending architecture-centric MBE technical solutions for practical system development programs; and
- Participating in and leading technical activities in community settings (conferences, workshops, and working groups).
BS or equivalent degree + 8 years of experience, or
MS or equivalent degree + 5 years of experience, or
PhD or equivalent degree + 2 years of experience
in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, a related field, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
: Must have experience in MBE research and/or practice architecting systems using MBE techniques, which shall include specific experience in:
- Performing research in architectural modeling, analysis, and generation of safety critical embedded software systems;
- Performing research in timing analysis and behavioral verification of safety critical systems;
- Applying architecture-centric research technologies on customer systems in the aerospace domain;
- Publishing at least three (3) papers (with at least one (1) as lead author) in peer-reviewed computer-science venues.
Preferred Qualifications and Requirements
Model based engineering tools and standards, e.g. AADL, SysML, UML;
Software development design and implementation tools and languages, e.g. Java programming, the Eclipse development platform and plug-in environment;
Strategy formulation, planning, and execution;
Funding proposal writing and defense;
Strong written and verbal communication skills;
Presentation skills for small and large audiences in academic and industrial / governmental settings.
Familiarity with avionics standards.
Other: Candidates will be subject to a background check.
PhD degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field, or equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience:
Five (5) years of experience in model-based engineering research and/or practice architecting safety-critical systems. More Information
Please visit " Why Carnegie Mellon " to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/ . Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.