The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation's space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space- delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you'll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves. Job Summary
The Systems Engineering Division (SED) provides unmatched experience in systems engineering to the U.S. government and to numerous public and private agencies, universities, nonprofit organizations, consortia, and commercial companies involved in the advanced application of space technology. From systems architecture development to system analysis and optimization, astrodynamics, orbital debris, navigation, failure analysis, mission assurance, cost and schedule assessment, and economic market analysis, SED exploits an incredibly broad array of engineering and business disciplines against a diverse and dynamic portfolio of programs and national challenges.
The Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) Office's goal is to incorporate system modeling capabilities to provide space systems engineering analysis, modeling support, and education to government decision-makers and other stakeholders. Our team members create, use, and evaluate models that analyze and define space systems. We use a variety of computer tools that not only estimate system properties and performance, but also use SysML tools to define requirements, behaviors, interfaces, and architecture. What You'll Be Doing
- Develop, implement, and evaluate SysML models to support customers that develop, launch, and operate space systems. We explore space systems defined at all domain levels; enterprise, architecture, vehicle, and even payload levels.
- Advise government customers on the use and implementation of SysML models
- Develop analytical computer models and tools for the Concept Design Center and other corporate centers (see our CDC video at https://aerospace.org/video/concept-design-center).
- Train other members of Aerospace technical staff, program office staff, and government customers on MBSE tools and methods, digital engineering, and modeling practice
- Infuse MBSE practices into our own AeroCube CubeSat development program and advise our customers on how to implement MBSE in their own programs
- Create and maintain SysML models that Aerospace subject matter experts use to support program milestone reviews (e.g. SRR, PDR, CDR, etc.)
- Level 3 senior engineering specialists will lead teams to develop system models
*This position is available as Level 2 or Level 3*What You Need to be Successful
Minimum Requirements for Level 2:
- BS in a relevant engineering discipline (Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, etc.) or related technical discipline.
- Proficient with MBSE tools and SysML modeling
- Tools such as MagicDraw (Cameo, Collaborator), Sparx EA, OpenMBEE
- SysML modeling of aerospace systems at various domain levels such as architectures, vehicles, and/or payloads
- At least 8 years of experience in space systems engineering including modeling methods and analysis. Some experience may be waived with MS or higher degree in a relevant discipline.
- Knowledge of core space systems design disciplines, such as space system architectures, satellite bus design, and payloads.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Additional Minimum Requirements for Level 3:
How You Can Stand Out
- At least 12 years of experience in space systems engineering including modeling methods and analysis. Some experience may be waived with MS or higher degree in a relevant discipline.
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Ways We Reward Our Employees
- Current TS/SCI clearance
- MS or higher degree in relevant discipline
- Experience in all levels of space systems engineering including vehicle level and architecture level
- Experience with space system architecture frameworks like DoDAF & UPDM
- Familiarity with Syndeia, Tableau, web services interface
- Technical team leadership
- Experience with concurrent engineering methods and tools
- Computer programming, modeling and simulation skills, especially for purposes of estimating space vehicle performance, size, mass, power and cost.
- Teaching experience, especially in technical subjects
- Relevant OMG or INCOSE certifications
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
and the supplement
, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement