Description Job Requisition:
Multiphase CFD Research ScientistJob Description:
The Multiphase CFD Research Scientist in this position will support collaborative research in modeling of coal-based and natural gas-based energy systems that involves both NETL and LRST research team members. The Multiphase CFD Research Scientist in this position will develop and apply advanced modeling tools and techniques to design and optimize the performance of advanced energy systems based on coal, natural gas, and other fuels and technologies. Work performed by this position is primarily directed toward mathematical and computational modeling of, and software development for, advanced energy systems, primarily based on fossil fuels. This work will emphasize the development and application of verification, and validation using the NETL MFiX Software Suite. The Multiphase CFD Research Scientist will also design and recommend the development of fundamental physical experiments to support and validate the VV&UQ activities. Work assignments will be in support of the NETL R&IC Multiphase Flow Science team. The Multiphase CFD Research Scientist will also provide mentoring support to junior researchers in mathematical modeling and software development.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Providing R&D technical support for the NETL multiphase flow sciences program and provide mentoring and guidance for junior researchers in mathematical modeling and software development.
- Collaborating closely with the multiphase flow science program members on developing numerical /analytical / computational and mathematical studies of advanced energy conversion systems. Apply experimental data to model validation and improvement.
- Performing computational model development and computational research for advanced energy conversion systems.
- Developing high fidelity analytical and computational models of steady state and dynamic flows in advanced energy conversion systems.
- Analyzing experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Presenting ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, applied mathematics, aerospace engineering, nuclear engineering or a closely related field with an emphasis in computational multiphase fluid dynamics in gas-solids reacting flows, numerical analysis, and mathematical modeling. 1 - 2 years of postgraduate research and development experience in computational, mathematical and analytical model development relevant to energy conversion and chemical process systems that includes an emphasis on computational multiphase flow with experience in the development and application of verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification techniques to multiphase flows.
- Ability to develop and use computational fluid dynamics models for multiphase unsteady flows which span multiple flow regimes.
- Ability to design, implement, and maintain scientific software and run application in a supercomputing environment.
- Experience in FORTRAN, C, Python, and C++ computer languages.
- Ability to design and implement new computational models as well as the ability to assess and modify existing models in computational codes used by NETL researchers; ability to develop, design, and recommend physical experiments to obtain data necessary for model validation and uncertainty quantification.
- Proficiency in computational modeling of complex multiphase flows, heat transfer, and thermal management.
- Expertise in using CFD software such as the NETL MFiX Suite and ANSYS FLUENT/CFX, Star-CCM+, and OpenFOAM.
- Experience in performing CFD simulation and comparing results of the analysis with experimental measurements.
- Working knowledge of multiphase flow modeling and analysis techniques using different methodologies for gas-solid and gas-liquid multiphase flows.
- Ability to document model development activities including, but not limited to, modeling theory, numerical techniques, verification and validation tests, and user manuals.
Experience/knowledge is preferred in the following areas -
External Referral Bonus:
- Expertise in applications of computational fluid dynamics, Discrete Element Method, especially using the NETL MFiX Software Suite to energy related applications.
- Scientific code development and application with an emphasis on creating computational models to aid in the design, understanding and analysis of complex multiphase flow systems.
- Expertise in chemical looping processes and modeling applications including chemical looping combustion and CO2 sorbents.
- Expertise in modeling complex circulating fluid bed systems.
- Experience in the comparison of experimental data with computational fluid bed models to validate models and interpret complex physical processes.
IneligiblePotential for Telework:
NoClearance Level Required:
NoScheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.