WORKING TITLE: NETWORK ENGINEER SENIOR
ROLE TITLE: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST III
SALARY IS NEGOTIABLE COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
PAY BAND 6 The Virginia Department of State Police is seeking qualified applicants for a Network Engineer Senior in the Information & Communication Technologies Division located in North Chesterfield, Virginia.
This is an Exempt position; therefore, this position is excluded from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act due to the nature of duties and job responsibilities. NOTE: This position represents the average statewide salary for this position. Actual compensation is based on candidate*s specific knowledge, skill, abilities, experience, and education as related to
this particular position. DUTIES: * Maximizes performance and morale through effective leadership. Supervises assigned staff by establishing priorities, evaluating performance, assessing developmental needs, and correcting
substandard performance and discipline issues as they occur. Communicates clearly and concisely with staff, and encourages staff to maintain open communications. Effectively identifies and resolves
personnel conflicts. Communicates safety issues with employees to ensure a safe workplace. Continuity of operations is maintained through cross-training and development of current desk procedures.
* Strategic Plan items pertinent to the Network group are completed.
* Participates in the design, implementation and support of telecommunication networks for the Department.
* Develops requirements, identifies hardware, software, and telecommunications needs of the VSP networks.
* Works closely with VITA/NG, the IT Division and outside vendors to effectively design, plan, deploy, secure and update network projects in the environment.
* Support of the network is available 24X7.
* Configuration parameters for all enterprise network devices are optimized based on best practices.
* Single points of failure are researched and documented.
* All trouble calls and resolutions are documented.
* Capacity planning is performed based on direction and guidance provided by supervisor.
* Short term and long term goals are identified under direction and guidance of supervisor.
* Effective collaboration with VITA/NG and other IT groups is maintained.
* System policies and procedures are created, documented, and maintained.
* System Hardware and Software inventories for SPHQ and DR are maintained.
* All calls related to critical production issues pertaining to the environments under the control and responsibility of this employee are returned within 30 minutes.
* Effectively manages the VSP Juniper network and suppport infrastructure.
* Ensures All new hardware and software is documented in Footprints within 2 weeks of delivery
* Identifies, diagnoses, and corrects system problems by using line monitors, diagnostic software, test equipment. Works closely with the Help Desk to ensure user equipment specifications and
configurations are accurate and up-to-date; assists in maintenance log of equipment movement and repair.
* Relevant documentation is kept up to date.
* Performs all other duties as may be assigned by Department managers/supervisors.
* Maintains familiarity with the VSP COOP Plan and specific duties and responsibilities of Continuation Team members. Participates in COOP training and exercises as assigned. Maintains a COOP
go-kit in accordance with the COOP Manual. QUALIFICATIONS: * Considerable knowledge of Cisco routers, switches, VPN concentrators, firewalls, 802.11 wireless access points, and load balancers (including the ability to setup, configure, upgrade, manage, and
troubleshoot); of transport protocols, routing protocols, and security/authentication protocols at all layers of the OSI model with emphasis on TCP/IP; of TCP/IP; Ethernet; Network cabling; Layer 2 and
Layer 3 switching; the OSI Model; Frame-Relay and ATM WAN protocols; VPN and SSL technology; Firewall security and Network Management and troubleshooting. and of networking features and
protocols such as: spanning tree, ARP, CDP, EIGRP, RIP, OSPF, BGP, VTP, Etherchannel, 802.1Q trunking, MLS, HSRP, QoS, multicast, 802.11, IPsec, Frame Relay, RADIUS/TACACS+, SNMP, T-1/E-1,
BRI/PRI, MPLS, dial-up services, and caching services.
* Working knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
* Skill in operating personal computers and using Microsoft Office applications.
* Demonstrated ability to design, install and troubleshoot local-area and wide-area enterprise networks; to create repeatable, reliable, scalable network architectures, with fault tolerance, performance
tuning, monitoring systems, statistics/metrics collection, and disaster recovery; to monitor IT environments for compliance with information security architecture policies and standards; to supervise and
motivate staff, and lead and manage project teams; and to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in English.
* High School Diploma or GED and an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position required.
* Graduation from an accredited college or university with major study in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field preferred.
* Considerable direct hands-on experience engineering and design experience in networking industry required.
* Cisco CCNP/CCDP or CCIE certifications preferred.
* ATTENTION: H1-B Visa Applicants * Agency practice disallows sponsorship. POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION, BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION,
FINGERPRINT-BASED CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK,
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREENING &
SUBJECT TO RANDOM DRUG SCREENING Elements of the selection process for this position will also include the screening of applications; interviewing of qualified candidates; and salary negotiations. The pre-employment process can take
approximately up to three (3) months to complete. The anticipated duration of this process is determined by the successful completion of the above items. Applicants must live in states east of the Mississippi River. Military applicants must live in or home of record must be in one of the states east of the Mississippi River. Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees
Only), must attach these forms with their state application. Applications will only be accepted on-line through the Recruitment Management System at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com . This position is open until filled. Resumes and cover letters may be
attached but will not substitute for the on-line application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. For questions, please contact the Employment Unit of the Personnel Division
email@example.com. EEO EMPLOYER
REASONABLE ACCOMODATION UPON REQUEST
AMERICORPS, PEACE CORPS, AND OTHER NATIONAL SERVICE ALUMNI ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
PO Box 27472 Richmond, VA, 23261