Office: Washington, DC
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Manager of Enterprise Infrastructure
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: Core Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, unless otherwise approved; additional hours as required
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Manager of Enterprise Infrastructure and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures and as a member of the Information Technology Department’s Network Operations team, the Network Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the firm’s mission-critical network and infrastructure systems are available and properly functioning at all times. The Network Engineer is responsible for the installation, configuration, and monitoring of the firm’s voice, video, wireless, LAN and WAN networks. The Network Engineer is expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm’s attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Network Engineer must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Support and maintain the firm’s voice and video networks, Cisco IOS/NX-OS Switches, Check Point security appliances, IPS/IDS, Riverbed Steelhead WAN accelerators, monitoring platforms, LAN/WAN/WLAN infrastructure and all associated sub-systems.
- Perform system maintenance in accordance with established schedules and best practices.
- Monitor, secure, identify and qualify system patches/updates for consideration.
- Install, update, and maintain supported systems.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement improvements in network, video, and voice systems.
- Perform risk assessments and security audits, report findings and take corrective actions.
Collaboration & Customer Service
- Assist Network Operations teams to provide third level support for assigned systems and applications.
- Assist as needed in the day-to-day maintenance of the systems supported by the Network Operations team.
- Collaborate with the all groups on network, voice, video, and security based projects.
- Contribute to written material including Knowledge Base articles, design documents, and other material as needed.
- Handle tickets escalated from the Help Desk in a timely manner.
- Work extended hours and be on call, as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions.
- Strong service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, management and outside business partners.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in the operations of IP Video Conferencing systems.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in the operations of Cisco Call Manager voice systems.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in the administration of Cisco LAN/WAN/WLAN infrastructure.
- Experience with any four or more of the following technologies:
- Cisco Call Manager
- Cisco IOS
- Cisco Nexus
- Enterprise Wireless Networks
- Enterprise Firewalls
- Enterprise Network Access Control
- Video bridges
- SolarWinds or other monitoring platforms
- WAN Accelerators
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner.
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities.
- Proven ability to maintain and update technical knowledge and skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information on the network.
- Commitment to the office and firm.
- Commitment to teamwork.
- Commitment to professional growth and development.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (BS in Computer Science or equivalent preferred); substantial related work experience may substitute
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a network engineer
- CCNA or above certification preferred